10.5 Adds 2-Finger Right Click on PowerBooks!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Coolnat2004, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

In case no one else noticed, those with a PowerBook that supports 2-finger scrolling can now tap with 2 fingers to right click (after setting the appropriate option in Keyboard/Mouse Prefs).

Now I have no reason to be jealous of those with Intel Macs!

2. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

You. Are. Awesome.

Thanks for posting this! I would have never noticed. My grandmother has been wanting to do this for the longest time, but didn't want to go through the hassle of getting a different notebook. Does it work well? Any problems with it?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. saxman macrumors 6502

Hmmm.. I can't seem to do this on my 12" PB 1.33.

I can set it to left click by tapping (and dragging), but nothing works with two fingers. I can't scroll either since iScroll2 is currently not Leopard compatible. Do you see a scrolling/right-click option in the trackpad settings?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm guessing this is not for iScroll-compatible laptops, but for ones that have built-in Apple two finger scrolling (i.e. the USB ones), although of course it'd help if someone who has this combination could confirm. That would make this essentially just the last 15/17" units before the two finger click showed up.

6. Coolnat2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

If you didn't have two-finger scrolling before, you won't be able to do this. It requires the new-ish trackpad that can detect such things. I attached the preference window in case you can't find the option.

I'm using a 12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz from just after Tiger was released.

It works just as it does on the MacBooks - flawlessly. The only problem, is that I keep accidentally right-clicking because I am not used to it.

Attached Files:

7. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

8. DanB91 macrumors 6502

thanx for tip i m gonna use it all the time now

it seems it works on all laptops that support 2 finger scrolling like my ibook, change the topic

9. saxman macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. Yeah, I don't see that option on mine. Strange because the laptop is capable of it, at least with a third party app. Oh well, just hope iScroll2 developer updates their program because I got really used to scrolling with two fingers

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

iScroll2 does work but it's quirky. You have to re-do all your settings when you reboot and sometimes when you first play with the settings it doesn't react properly until you sleep the machine. I close the lid and re-open it and it works "fine". You have to do that all over again when you reboot though.

This powerbook does not have two finger scrolling so the option to use 2 finger right click is not there BUT iScroll2 does work, albeit not perfectly. Hopefully they sort out a solution.

thought I'd mention it.

11. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

FYI, this is also a feature on MacBooks as well, (well it is on mine at least), not just PowerBooks :)

12. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I noticed that on my iBook when I installed Leopard. My iBook had the two-finger scroll feature under Tiger, now Leopard added the two-finger right click :)

13. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

That's great news, kudos to Apple for allowing owners of older PowerBooks to take advantage of this feature. I've got a couple of friends who will love to hear this. :)

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't know if they deserve "kudos" for it but yeah...

15. theman macrumors 6502a

As someone with a MBP, I must say I prefer not to have the "clicking" feature on. Instead I have the trackpad button set to right-click when I hold 2 fingers down on the trackpad. I like that a lot better. If I have the trackpad set on "click" I always click by accident, like while scrolling.

And hey, congrats to you PB guys. Glad to see Apple finally added this.