10.5 and optical sound

Discussion in 'macOS' started by patch, Nov 15, 2007.

1. patch macrumors newbie

I have a speaker system connected to my mac with an optical cable (toslink connection), in 10.4 there is no operating system control of the volume. That means I can only change the volume through the speaker system or through the application if it allows. Can anyone who has a similar set up tell me whether 10.5 fixes this 'bug' or not? I have been using vista even more lately due to their excellent control over volumes with the identical set up (volume keys work just fine!) and would like to see it fixed on OS X. If its not fixed can anyone tell me a workaround for either 10.4 or 10.5 that would allow the volume keys to adjust the entire systems volume output?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Bad news first: No, Apple didn't fix that problem. I really wish they did, though. But no change from Tiger to Leopard.

If you want to use the Apple remote - you can install VLC Player (videolan.org)
    that software does use the Apple remote - and can adjust your volume. Drawbacks: It still does not change your system volume output - only what's playing through VLC. 2nd Drawback - you can not access Front Row with VLC running. (though, would be pointless to have both running at the same time anyhow)

Would be nice if VLC would write their own "Front Row" software - because VLC plays just about any audio/video format without needing a million codecs. Would be nice to have volume control, too.

It's nice to dream.

3. kolax macrumors G3

The volume control in iTunes lets you adjust volume over an optical connection too.

Pity the default volume controls don't. But I use AirTunes with optical cable, so I have to use iTunes to control the volume.