10.5 and Pro Tools

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Nightshivers, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Nightshivers macrumors newbie

Nightshivers

Is Pro Tools going to work with Os 10.5 Leapord.. or should I stay tiger and not update.. 10.5 Is on its way and October and I'm wondering if I should just stay 10.4:confused:

2. Murdock macrumors newbie

You should stay with 10.4 until Digidesign announces that Pro Tools is compatible with 10.5 which it definately will be. You might have to wait a month or two in worst case, in best case it will only be a few weeks.

3. Nightshivers thread starter macrumors newbie

Nightshivers

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well since Digidesign produce some of the buggiest software ever created on a mac platform ;) (we are a recording studio) and are pretty much always a few updates behind Apple I'd imagine we'd be waiting till early 2008 before an aproved for 10.5 version of ProTools will be available.

By which time 10.5 will probably be 10.5.3/4 or some such.

Tis the nature I'm afraid.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

?????

PT has always been incredibly stable for me. sounds like user error.

6. Nightshivers thread starter macrumors newbie

Nightshivers

yeah digi has always ran super stable on my mac.. and especially conpared to on my PC...:confused:

7. saxondale. macrumors 6502

I'd imagine many many CS updates, but for a solid version, probably early 2008.

8. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

I just ordered pro tools! Is it usual that the update to 10.5 will be a free patch upgrade?

9. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Digidesign usually takes a while to be supported, but that doesn't mean it won't work, it just may be buggy. If you have separate bootable partitions, install Leopard onto one and leave the other as Tiger. That way you can still use Tiger if you need to.

10. Edwardz macrumors regular

Of how much talk Leopard is getting, digidesign will keep that in their cards for how fast they will work out the bugs and the compatibility with Leopard. I'm guessing a week or two at max.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Some times. However quite often Digi like a lot of other companies will decide to release an incrimental product version increase (7 / 7.3 / 7.5) and therefore it is plausible that they may charge for the upgrade.

CS patches are free.

And for those saying that Pro Tools is not buggy are joking themselves. The last version has desperate problems with templates and audio files moving into wrong folders. :rolleyes:

Or how about trying to edit Midi on the fly - it's big new feature, which often ends up in an unexpectant quit.

Add a few third party plugins and virtual instruments and ProTools can get very hiccupy.

Add to the amount of times you have to trash the PTools plist file and digidesign database folders etc.

The fact that M-Powered and normal PT don't really like residing on the same machine which is a pain for mobile recording.

And yes pro-tools is used in our recording studio, it isn't human error. We have used the software for years and are very adept at it. It doesn't change the fact that each version may resolve one bug, but introduces many new ones.

Still a great piece of software, but buggy.

12. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

As I recall, it was 3 or 4 months before Digidesign released a Tiger patch. Could be wrong on that, though.

13. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I tried PT LE on 10.5 over the weekend - I was able to record but the menu was acting really weird, sub menus wouldn't expand when I hovered over them.