10.5 Family Pack Install Disc Backup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jonnysods, Oct 27, 2007.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Hey guys, I have a question for you - I bought a family pack of Leopard, which has the one install DVD - I have 2 licenses for myself, and my roomate also bought a license with me. I wanted to burn a disc to backup the disc in case something went wrong, and make another one to give to my mate just in case he splits and wants his own copy. I have tried two ways, and it doesn't seem to work (totally).

1. I used Disk Utility to make an image of the disk, and then burnt the image on a dual layer DVD in Toast. It came up as an install disc just fine after burning, but when I used it in Bootcamp it would not recognize the disc and install the BC drivers.

2. I am currently using Disk Utility to burn the image of the disc now - so we'll see how that goes.

Are there any success stories out there that you could share with me? I am not a pirate, this is a legitmate backup question.

Thanks!

2. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Sadly, I don't think so. Sorry.

Just keep it in a safe place.

3. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

A friend of mine did the same with the restore dvds (tiger) when he got his macbook and it worked using toast I think...weird that it doesn't work on leopard.

4. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

It totally works to updgrade Leopard - but when you load into Windows after installing BC, it doesn't recognize the disc like the original disc does.

Now it's going to be a fight to see who gets the original disc!

Unless someone out there has figured this out!

5. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

so what are you telling me...that the leopard dvd shows up differently under windows? :confused:I kind of don't get it...any clarification appreciated...still saving for leopard (sorry for the dumb question)

6. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

It's pretty cool actually - in OS X, it's the 10.5 install DVD, and then when you load into Windows, the disc is shown as BOOT CAMP (or something like that). You pop it in and it asks you to go through the BC installation process.

Gotta love Apple!

But now how do I get a disc to do that?!?! :confused:

7. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

wow...that's cool...so you have your bootcamp (final) driver cd already with the leopard dvd...that's really neat...thanks for informing me...
    I wonder how they did that...

8. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

The issue is Disk Utility is burning what it sees, not all that's on the disk. I bet.

I'm not sure if toast will burn it OK, but it may at least see the Windows side. I'm also not sure of any tools similar to CloneCD on teh Windows, which copied the tracks on the physical disk instead of the actual data. If there's something like that, it'd probably be the best thing to use.

9. andrewheard macrumors regular

You could always make a copy of the disc in OS X and in windows. That way you'd have 1 disc for the boot camp stuff and 1 for the os x install. Not a huge trade off in my opinion.

10. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

That's a great idea!

Check back in a while to see if I am successful! It takes a little while to copy the files and burn the DVD................

Thanks man!

11. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

It's Alive!!!

Okay guys, I managed to get a full copy of the install disc, and now, thanks to your advice, a working copy of the BC install part of the DVD. OS X on a dual layer DVD, and BC on a separate CD.

But it works!!!!

12. andrewheard macrumors regular

13. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yeah I was going to say it's DVD-9, you needa DL disc.

14. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Lucky I keep some spare - I have never used DL discs before!!!

15. seattlemaclover macrumors member

Hi, I am trying to back up my install disc as well, but when I try the Disk Utility/Toast combo, I get discs that mount in the finder, but when I try to install from it the disc will not boot. What am I doing wrong??

16. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Just to update you all where i am on this subject....

I have tried the following but failed.

Copied the DL DVD in Toast

Made a bootable DMG of 10.5 and exported to an external HD

Would be good to hear if anyone has successfully copied the DVD. Bit worried mine might get scratched one day and i'll have to buy it again!

17. waremaster macrumors 6502

The disk is known as a hybrid disk. I believe Toast has an option for hybrid discs.

18. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hi Waremaster,

Do you know where that option is in Toast 8? I cant see it in an obvious place?

EDIT - sorry found it now. But what do i need to do to the OSX DVD? Should i extract it to the desktop then copy it?

Thanks for your help.

19. Jptharocker macrumors newbie

OS X Leopard Install DVD Backup

I purchased a copy of Leopard, and I am trying to make a copy of the Install DVD before I install it, and I was not able to make a copy of it on my 15.4" mbp because I just found out that my MBP doesn't have a DL dvd Burner. I plugged an external DL DVD burner, and I still cant burn a backup of the DVD.

The process i undertook, was using disk utility to make an image of the DVD and then I tried using Toast 7 to burn a DVD, and it stopped working. I also tried using disk utility, and it still didn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

20. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

maybe it's the DVD you're using?
    make sure it's double layer.
    if you have the right dvd it might be a hardware defect (burner).

21. Jptharocker macrumors newbie

I'm using HP dvd+R 2.4x Double Layer DVD's, And I pulled my working DVD burner out of my PC, and plugged it into my External Casing, which i never had a problem with burning double layer dvd's before, and i checked afterwards and it still has no problem burning double layer dvd's.

22. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

that sure is weird.
    does the original dvd have some serious scratches? if not, maybe putting the dvd burner back into the pc and burning using the pc is an option?

23. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I burnt the DVD fine, but when you go to install with the copy it doesn't verify the DVD before install. Says there were some errors.

24. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

in that case I would try DVDs of another brand just to be sure it's not the burner.

25. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

If your friend leaves the residence / home that you share, then one of you will lose your right to the program / shared license.

The license is for up to 5 people who share the same home / physical space as their primary residence (on personal / home computers - not remote office computers).

If your friend leaves, and you keep the original disks, then your friend loses all legal right to use the program.

If your friend takes the original, then you lose all rights to use the program.

Basically, up to five computers / users in the same residence. No sharing with friends or family who live somewhere else.

That said, I have successfully created a full working backup copy of the entire Leopard DVD using Windows. Windows was able to see the Mac and the Windows sections of the DVD and created a single large image that contained both.

These types of disks are "Hybrid" disks. They are common and have been around for as long as we've had CD's.

Many companies publish Mac and Windows versions of their programs on the same disk. The PC reads the PC section, the Mac reads the Mac section. Both machines ignore / don't see the section intended for the other machine type.