(10.5) How do I use timemachine to restore on another mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cmm, Mar 3, 2009.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I have been using Time Machine for backups. Now I'd like to use Time Machine to have the same desktop as my last backup on another Macbook.

How do I do it?

2. sallythemac Guest

Boot from a leopard DVD on the mac u want to have the backup applied to, then go through the install process and choose restore from time machine backup. Obviously have the TM disk attached.

Other thing is boot from the DVD and choose migration assistant, then link the two macs via whichever cable it asks.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You want the same desktop background picture? sally's solution will wipe off what's on the second computer and replace everything with what's on the Time Machine drive. The restore from Time Machine option is accessed under the Utilities menu immediately after picking English as the main language while booted up to the software disc 1. And Migration Assistant can be run without booting to the OS disc.

4. sallythemac Guest

I forgot about Migration without the disk, good catch.

However, i think i was correct in assuming they want to restore the macbook from time machine, as the thread titles suggests: "(10.5) How do I use timemachine to restore on another mac?".

5. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want a CC of my main machine on another macbook..

6. sallythemac Guest

Time Machine or Migration Assistant will do that.

7. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

By following your method? It won't wipe out anything?