iPad Pro 10.5 inch Facetime

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lockerc18, Jun 18, 2017.

1. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

I just did my first Facetime with my new toy. I've spent a fair amount of time installing and maintaining commercial AV systems, and video performance is obviously very important for that. I have to say that I was surprised at the quality of the video with Facetime. There was no blurring or frame stuttering. I'm used to doing Facetimes with my mid-2012 rMBP, and there was always a lack of performance quality with that. But not with ths IPP. It's really impressive.

Not so with the audio. It's still essentially single duplex, and that gets tedious pretty quickly. It would be nice to see some improvement for that in IOS11, because it's not goodness to have such a difference between video and audio quality.

But the video... just WOW. Well done, Apple.

2. upandown macrumors regular

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

How do you mean single-duplex relating to audio? Can you not send data to the other FaceTime participant at the same time you receive audio?

4. lockerc18 thread starter macrumors 6502

In the course of normal conversation, sometimes you both speak at the same time. But you can both hear the entirety of what each other says. With FT, if you speak at the same time as the other person, one or the other of you won't hear what is being said, and you get into a lot of repeating what was said. So, only one person can speak at a time. Sure, it's normal courtesy to not speak when the other person is, but conversations aren't always perfect.

Granted, this isn't the exact same thing as single duplex in networking. But it's analogous. Both ends of the conversation can't be active at the same time. Just think about how that would affect phone calls.

5. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Is this because there's some kind of audio dimming when you speak, or is it simply not transmitting/recieving the data? The latter would seem really weird from an implementation perspective

6. lockerc18 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure, but crosstalk will step on each other every time.

7. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Yes, this is very annoying with a babbling baby in the room. It makes having a conversation nearly impossible.