Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
I posted little while ago whether to upgrade from my ipad mini 4 as it's giving me a lot of eye strain despite getting new prescription for my eyes. I waited till the WWDC to see what's new before deciding and can't decide between the iPP or iPad since the new size (10.5 vs 9.7) will definately help my eye strain.

However, i read the new iPad Pro has laminated display and True tone display, which supposedly HELPS people with eye strain a lot. Do you find that to be true?

Also my current iPad has the full laminated feature, and if i were to get the iPad version, would i notice the lack of it alot after being used to it?

it is alot of money between the two as i want to max out my storage since i have fair amount of apps and tons of photos, as well watch tv shows/movies on netflix/amazon and rent movies too.

which one would you go for?

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
It's not even a viable question the price difference is almost double. Also what makes you think a laminated screen helps, what would help is not staring at a screen when you dont need to.

In any case just buy the best model you can get if price is of no concern.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
If price is no concern, I would go for the 10.5" Pro. I can't say whether it will help your eye strain vs the iPad mini 4 but if you can always return it if it is a deal breaker and try the 9.7" iPad. The laminated display of the Pro is also a lot less reflective than the iPad or iPad mini, which might help. And for storage, the iPad is 32GB and 128GB only, so there's a big difference.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I posted little while ago whether to upgrade from my ipad mini 4 as it's giving me a lot of eye strain despite getting new prescription for my eyes. I waited till the WWDC to see what's new before deciding and can't decide between the iPP or iPad since the new size (10.5 vs 9.7) will definately help my eye strain.

However, i read the new iPad Pro has laminated display and True tone display, which supposedly HELPS people with eye strain a lot. Do you find that to be true?

Also my current iPad has the full laminated feature, and if i were to get the iPad version, would i notice the lack of it alot after being used to it?

it is alot of money between the two as i want to max out my storage since i have fair amount of apps and tons of photos, as well watch tv shows/movies on netflix/amazon and rent movies too.

which one would you go for?

The laminated display essentially helps for better reading and visibility in brighter conditions.

Tru-Tone display uses ambient sensors to measure the ambient light color and brightness, allowing the display to correct white point and illumination based on the lighting in your environment. It does make it easier to read and is less stressful on your eyes.

My recommendation would be the 10.5 iPad that incorporates Tru-Tone and a fully laminated display. It has 600 Nits of brightness, which is fairly bright compared to the other iPad models. It also has 64GB and all the way up to 512 GB of storage. It is more expensive, but it meets a lot of the features that you are speaking of in your post.

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
Do you use it everyday? What do you mostly do on your iPad?

I used a lot DAILY prior Xmas, since then i would use it maybe every other day only because it was such a hassle trying to watch my tv shows or read the blogs im involved. It was used mostly for quick short frame things vs long time like to read or binge watch a show. Hence wanting to upgrade, as we have two TV's in my home among my family and my husband tend to watch the smaller tv in den for his sports and the bigger tv is usually occupied by my kids. I relied a lot on the ipad to watch MY own shows and the like.

The laminated display essentially helps for better reading and visibility in brighter conditions.

Tru-Tone display uses ambient sensors to measure the ambient light color and brightness, allowing the display to correct white point and illumination based on the lighting in your environment. It does make it easier to read and is less stressful on your eyes.

My recommendation would be the 10.5 iPad that incorporates Tru-Tone and a fully laminated display. It has 600 Nits of brightness, which is fairly bright compared to the other iPad models. It also has 64GB and all the way up to 512 GB of storage. It is more expensive, but it meets a lot of the features that you are speaking of in your post.

I'm convinced 10.5 iPad is probably the best fit for my needs as far a tablet goes. I can't seem to decide GB (64GB vs. 256GB) Mind you, my current iPad mini is 64GB, but i worry i'll hit max memory if i only spring for 64GB. I intend to keep the new iPad for long long time, until it breaks or become ineffective.

I'll mainly use it for emails, reading on my kindle app, online shopping, watch my DVR shows via comcast app, netflix/amazon shows/movies, and do like to rent/download movies for my on the road trips and vacations. We do vacation a fair amount (solo and with my family of four-3 to 4 trips per year) that makes me feel like i should spring for more memory.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
New 10.5 iPad Pro is really great. Great screen, great sound, fast, smooth. I've used all the previous gen iPads every single day. Usually the first electronic device I look at in the morning, last electronic device I look at each evening, and it's with me always in-between.

It's my alarm clock (super-reliable). Calendar and timer, let's me know everything that's going on. Books and news, reading constantly on it. Emails, great for email. Also, paired with Dropbox, I carry tons of important documents and information with me, and it's always available with just a few screen presses. Dropbox allows you to save your documents right to the iPad, for offline use.

I don't play many games, but you can put a ton of them on there as well.

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.