10.5 Leopard for IBook G3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aceuniverse, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Aceuniverse macrumors newbie

Will it work for my IBook G3?
    I have
    800MHz processor
    640mb ram.

Btw. I found a site where they actually set the requierments lower so older computers are compatable. But i dont remember the site. Does anyone know what im talking about?

Thank you =):apple:

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

10.5 requires a G4, G5, or Intel of 867Mhz.

TEG

4. Aceuniverse thread starter macrumors newbie

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You're stuck with 10.4 "Tiger" or earlier on that G3. Try a Linux distribution maybe?

6. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Yep,like people said, you are out of luck with a G3.

You can though install it on any G4. I used this.

Whether you would want it running on an old G4 though, is a different matter entirely. Tiger (10.4) should run pretty well though.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to suggest sticking with Tiger. Leopard is hopeless since it does require at least a G4 processor to run.

PowerPC Linux is slowly dying on the Mac side as well when it comes to final packages.

8. emancdf macrumors newbie

Leopard on G3

I have many macs and recently got an airport extreme which only let me use WPA as encryption where the G3 clamshell 466Mhz with Tiger does not.
    I tried to upgrade from tiger to leopard. I started the G3 in target mode and plugged it to a mbp running 10.6.7
    I started the mbp with the Leopard install disk, reformated the G3 HD as GUID partition, installed the system on it, rebooted the G3 by itself to get the question mark icon (darn)
    I restarted it in Target mode , plugged it to the MBP and hit the option key when rebooting the mbp.
    I got 3 options: the G3, the MBP, the installed DVD, I choose the G3 and the MBP booted under the G3 ( first disk to mount...)
    I could not believe it. It was quite slow I have to say but still...
    OTOH, when I rebooted under the install DVD, if I repartitioned the G3 HD as Apple partition, it would not install. I did it last week on an old imac and it is running fine...
    Any idea ?? besides plugging the imac on the ethernet and sharing the connection, but then what about the other macs on airport ??