10.5 or 10.5.1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anjinha, Oct 14, 2007.

  1. anjinha macrumors 604

    anjinha

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2006
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #1
    I was just wondering how many people are going to get leopard when it comes out and how many are going to wait for 10.5.1 to see how stable it is and for bug fixes.
     
  2. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
  3. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

    WizardHunt

    Joined:
    May 11, 2007
    Location:
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA
    #3
    10.5.0 for sure! I can't wait to get my hands on it.
    I love working out the bugs in new software. Too bad I could not be a beta user for Leopard. I would have loved it.
     
  4. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

    Eric Lewis

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2007
    Location:
    CANADA? eh?
    #4
    i

    i am going to pull a "hungry hungry homer" until it comes out!
     
  5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

    QuarterSwede

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    #5
    10.5.0 for sure as well. I got tiger when it was 10.4.0 and had no issues. After all, this isn't Microsoft having to worry about billions of combinations of hardware. Any bugs will be minimal and the productivity increase and convenience of having all the newest features will far out weigh any problems you may incur.
     
  6. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    The earlier builds for Tiger on Intel were awful, at least for some...personally I suffered the random shutdown syndrome on my Macbook...
     
  7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

    xUKHCx

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2006
    Location:
    The Kop
    #7
    wasn't that a hardware issuse, my housemate had those and the took it away for repair. Something to do with temperature sensor wire being faulty.

    I'll be on 10.5.0 just like i was on 10.4.0
     
  8. OllyW Moderator

    OllyW

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2005
    Location:
    The Black Country, England
    #8
    I'll get it on the first day it's released.

    Of course I'm backing up before installing just in case it is too buggy, but I expect it to be fairly solid.

    I had no major problems when I loaded 10.4.0 on the first day that was released :D
     
  9. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

    mr_matalino

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #9
    Are you worried that 10.5 will crash the computer and 10.5.1 will be a godsend?
     
  10. X5-452 macrumors 6502

    X5-452

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2006
    Location:
    Calgary, Canada
    #10
    I think I might wait until 10.5.1 mainly because I have no idea if the current software I have running will support 10.5 right off the bat, so I figure I should give the makers some extra time to start shipping 10.5 compatible versions, which I figure will be around the same time that 10.5.1 comes out.
     
  11. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2007
    #11
    If I have the money, I will buy Leopard day one. I don't really care if there are some bugs, so long as they arn't showstopers, which none appear to be.
     
  12. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

    LinuXtreme

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Location:
    Near Aspen
    #13
    Good question.

    I *had* been planning on 10.5.1, to avoid bugs, but some of the posts I've seen here about the likelihood of the bugs being worked out already have got me second-guessing that... I guess I'll live if I'm an early adopter (although I hope there aren't going to be any of those "MacBook random shutdowns") :eek:
     
  13. portent macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2004
    #14
    10.5.1

    I'm 99% confident that there won't be any problems with Leopard as it hits shelves. But I can't afford any disruption, so I'll let everyone else test the waters first. You never really know until the code is on ten million systems in the real world. I've been waiting two years so far, another month won't make much of a difference.
     
  14. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #15
    If I have the money I am going to get 10.5.0, and if it is too buggy just revert back to Tiger for a few weeks until 10.5.1.
     
  15. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland
    #16
    Using errr.. just about every OS launch I've seen as a template...

    10.5.1 will be out a few short weeks after 10.5 is released. It will fix things that they knew about in the Gold Master - but ran out of time to fix, or issues they found between GM and shipping.

    10.5.2 will be the version to address some of the issues that spring up as a result of a much wider use base and hardware/software combinations. No product survives contact with the enemy ...errr... customer. Probably see that around January.

    10.5.3 will be the point where things are beginning to settle down. Figure April 2008.

    So, there WILL be issues, and it will take about 6 months before most of them are sorted out. However... just how much those issues impact on you depends on exactly what you are doing. Some people had lots of problems with early versions of Tiger - but I was using it from 10.4.0 and never encountered anything specific.

    Of course Tiger on Intel was another whole ball of wax. While Apple had been keeping a parallel development of OSX going all these years, it is blatantly obvious that - while functional - it lacked the polish of the PPC version. They did enough to get it out the door with the new intel machines, but sitting them side by side there are a few niggeling little areas where things dont always "just work" unlike the PPC experience.

    Leopard will be the first true intel release for the OS - and its going to be very interesting to see how it works out. I'll be puting 10.5 on my Mac Book. If the software I need works and there are not show stoppers then my Mac Pro is next. Otherwise it is going to have to wait a bit.

    I've got some nice external firewire dirives that get used to clone my systems - so in the worst case I can always roll back. :apple:
     
  16. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

    MacinDoc

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Location:
    The Great White North
    #17
    10.5.0 for me - I just can't resist new Apple stuff, for the most part. Will probably archive and install, though just in case. Or better yet, install it first on my external HD and boot up from that.
     
  17. cbrain macrumors 65816

    cbrain

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2006
    Location:
    North-East, UK
    #18
    10.5 for me. I'll clone my Tiger install in case anything doesn't work properly.
     
  18. richkent72 macrumors regular

    #19
    I'll scrutinise macrumors to see how the early adopters get on. If there are no issues that are likely to effect me then I'll get 10.5.0. Otherwise I'll wait longer. I'm happy using Tiger until Leopard is sorted.
     

Share This Page