10.5 over 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yizi, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Yizi macrumors regular

Hi,

My friend bought a Leopard 10.5 to install on his old machine which came with 10.4 but when we inserted the disc and went through the installation it said it can not be installed in this computer!

Why is that?! How can we solve this problem?

Thanks,
    Yizi

2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

3. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have it here with me he took it home, but its the pervious version of the new imac, the white ones.

4. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Tht would make it a G5 if it's powerPC or, just an intel

Either way, it seems strange that leopard wouldnt work because it SHOULD work.

hmmm, this is most likely just a simple user error, what exactly did u guys do?

5. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

We just took the DVD out of this package and placed it in. after it mounted i clicked on install OS X ... then it asked me to restart the operating system. After it got restarted it came up with the message saying it can not be installed in this computer!

6. Xavier macrumors 68020

Just to be clear, this is a retail version of Leopard, and not Leopard restore discs? I am almost sure that you have the Retail disc, but I never hurts to ask.

You cannot install Leopard off of a restore disc onto any other computer besides the Mac it came with.

I would try doing fsck and zap the PRAM, all the maintenance things like repairing permissions.

How much hard drive space is left on your system?

7. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

I will have a look at those stuff you said, but i think its the hard drive!

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Also- your best bet is to back up the hard drive and do an "erase and install". That will get anything off there that could be causing a problem.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Also to be clear - how 'previous' of an iMac are we talking here? There were a couple of white iMac models that do not work with 10.5.. Not likely that this is the case, but no harm in making sure!

10. colonels1020 macrumors regular

colonels1020