10.5 Partition on rMBP problems

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by blingem, May 18, 2014.

1. blingem macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am trying to create a 10.5 Leopard partition on my brand new rMBP. I am running into a snag with booting from my thumb drive image of 10.5. Hoping the MacRumors brain trust can get me across the finish line. Here is what I have done so far:

1) Created a small 25gb partition - check
    2) Get a big enough thumb drive - check, 16gb
    3) Create Leopard iso - check, done on old computer.
    4) Open the iso image to mount the volume - check (probably not using the right terminology here but you get the picture?)
    5) Disk Utility -> Thumb Drive -> Erase (formatted for Mac OS Extended Journaled) check.
    6) Select thumb drive -> Restore -> Drag the mounted 10.5 iso volume to the source; Drag the thumb drive to the Destination. Check.

It should be ready after that step. But when I restart, holding Alt/Option, I get three icons: the main HD, some restore HD, and my thumb drive. When I select my thumb drive as the boot disk, the computer freezes. I'm sure I'm missing something, perhaps with how I write Leopard onto the thumb drive?

{In case you're wondering, I want the partition because I have 32bit versions of a bunch of expensive programs (Rosetta Stone, Adobe CS3, etc.) that I don't use a ton, so not worth replacing, but I still want to use occasionally. Thanks for your help!}

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That won't work. 10.5 does not have the necessary drivers to run your Retina.

3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Oh my…! And I thought I'm the only one obsessed with running 10.6 Snow Leopard on latest hardware… I didn't know there's people wanting to run even older version of OS X onto new hardware… :D:D

4. blingem thread starter macrumors newbie

d'oh! Okay, thanks for the tip. Plan B: Can I run something else? 10.6? I think 10.6 will run my programs....can anyone confirm that? As a far 3rd alternative, can these be virtualized?

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Virtualizing is your best bet - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2186

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope.. sorry. 10.6 won't work either. I have read about people using Snow Leopard Server version with VMWare, but have no experience with it personally.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Your rMBP will not run anything older than the OS that it shipped with. In that case, the oldest it can run is Lion.

You can install SL server or Leopard server via VMware, but you don't get any retina support at all, so UI elements will look really tiny.

You can only virtualize server versions of Leopard or SL.