10.5 Pro Owners, are you Upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maukey, Nov 5, 2018.



  1. Yes! To the 11”

    23 vote(s)
  2. Yes! To the 12.9”

    20 vote(s)
  3. No, staying put

    28 vote(s)
  1. Maukey macrumors member

    Apr 26, 2010
    I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the upgrade. Not a fan of having to purchase all new accessories. I do like the Face ID, Pencil 2 with magnetic attachment and wireless charging, and new design. But for me, I’m finding it difficult to justify the upgrade because my iPad has always been mainly a companion device for media consumption with the occasional light office use thrown in. I have a company issued laptop for work, and a 13” rMBP for my heavier, personal use.

    If upgrading, which one are you upgrading to and why? If no, why not?
  2. goomba478 macrumors regular

    May 10, 2012
    I’m in the same boat. I spent a literal 3 hours watching videos and reviews and it seems that I went from “YES ABSOLUTELY” to “Maybe I should wait”. The new iPad pros seem like dream machines but I have not a single complaint about my 10.5” currently and spending a few hundred dollars to upgrade may be unwise. This is the first year I didn’t upgrade my iPhone (I have the X) and after a week or two I don’t even give it any thought. Maybe I’m cured I’d upgrade anxiety.

    If I do upgrade then it’s hard to say if the new slimmer 12.9” is better or the wider 11”. Apple sure doesn’t make it easy.
  3. stevo8 macrumors 6502

    Jul 3, 2007
    Just purchased the 10.5 ipp not long ago and am still upgrading. Going with the 12.9 this time though.
  4. dwfaust macrumors 601


    Jul 3, 2011
    Not upgrading. I have the 10.5 pro and the Mini 4. Don’t need to give Apple another $1k just because they released another iPad update. What I have is sufficient for my needs. Had they released an updated Mini I would be more likely to upgrade, as it’s my favorite iPad, size-wise, and the one that I use most of the time.

    I just don’t see the need.
  5. colmaclean, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018

    colmaclean macrumors 68000


    Jan 6, 2004
    I’m upgrading from the 10.5, but only because half a year ago I managed to drop it and crack the screen (still perfectly usable).

    Apple charge over 500 quid to repair the screen (I think they basically give you a new/refurb Pro), so my rationale is I could be putting that money into a brand new unsullied 2018 iPad Pro and keep the old one for my kid!

    Going for the 11 this time, I find the larger size too unwieldy.
  6. radioking macrumors regular

    Nov 5, 2012
    I thought I was going to, but now probably not. If you go with the 11”, screen wise all you’re really getting is a sliver more screen on the top and the bottom. I don’t watch too many videos on my iPad, so that added ratio doesn’t do too much for me. If they didn’t add the same gestures to the 10.5, I would have probably upgraded just for that.

    If I do upgrade it would probably be the 12.9”, but I don’t know if I want to pay that much for a 256gb.
  7. muzzy996 macrumors 6502

    Feb 16, 2018
    2nd gen 12.9 owner here. I know you’re specifically targeting 10.5 users but I felt compelled to answer anyway. I’m in a similar situation as you in that I have two laptops at my disposal (a workstation class one from work and a personal rMBP). There were things about the new iPad pros that intrigued me, the USB-C in particular but ultimately for now I find myself in wait and see mode.

    For me the new iPads don’t bring enough to the table yet to justify the expense for me to switch completely over. That might change later when iOS evolves to make better use of the hardware but right now the additional functionality is in niches that I’m just not interested in. That’s probably what it boils down to - if there’s new features you fell are must haves then it might be worth it.
  8. DNichter macrumors G3


    Apr 27, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm upgrading to the 11. I sell and upgrade every year, costs about $300. In your case, it doesn't seem like you need to upgrade, but it's definitely a better product in every way. If you have the money, go for it.
  9. the future macrumors 65816

    Jul 17, 2002
    I had the first gen 12.9 and loved the screen size, but the device was just a little too big and heavy. Got the 10.5 next and it‘s nice enough, but the new 12.9 is a lot smaller and lighter than the first one so I‘ll go back to that glorious, glorious screen size. Very easy upgrade decision for me; the new 12.9, to me, is just the ultimate implementation of the whole „iPad“ concept.
  10. sparksd macrumors 68020

    Jun 7, 2015
    Seattle WA
    No. The equivalent 11" configuration for my 10.5 + peripherals needing replacement would cost at least $1700 and the changes don't provide that level of increased value for me.
  11. macduke macrumors G4


    Jun 27, 2007
    Central U.S.
    I am upgrading to the 12.9". My wife complained that her Mini 2 was too slow so she is getting my 10.5" since they haven't upgraded the Mini in years. So that is the primary reason.

    The secondary reason is that I decided to get the 12.9" because it's between the size of the 10.5" and the old 12.9", which is exactly what I wanted Apple to do. It is now the size of a sheet of paper and weighs less while adding an hour of battery life according to some of the early reviews.

    I have been fascinated with the larger iPad ever since it came out and would check it out any chance I could get at the store or if I knew someone who had one. I love the desktop look when browsing websites, full app side by side multitasking, and the extra room for toolbars and such when editing photos or drawing. It's not cramped and having owned several iPad models since the original on launch day, it feels like what the iPad was meant to be—at least to me. The problem was that it was just a bit too big and almost comical in size.

    This one looks nearly perfect. It would have been perfect if they could have shaved a few more mm off the bezel and standardized 6GB of RAM across all capacities. What I'm hoping for is that in ~3 years when I next upgrade that they have halved the bezel, standardized on 8GB of RAM starting at 128GB in capacity, have upgraded to an @3X retina display using OLED or mLED, and have massively upgraded iOS on the iPad to help creatives and developers to be able to work on projects more efficiently.
  12. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 24, 2011
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    So glad to leave the 10.5” for the ultimate 12.9”
  13. BWhaler macrumors 68030


    Jan 8, 2003
    I’m upgrading, but not sure which size yet. I go back and forth depending on the last piece of data I receive.
  14. bOFFE1968 macrumors member


    Oct 4, 2013
    Yes. Ordered both sizes in silver and 512gb/LTE. Returning the one I don’t like after a week or so. I’m pretty sure it is the 12.9 I will keep.
  15. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601


    Apr 7, 2012
    Is it worth it, probably not. The 10.5 seems like the iPad 3 to me though. I am upgrading.
  16. brianone macrumors newbie


    Nov 6, 2018
    I am also upgrading the the 12.9 as I just sold my macbook pro and ipad pro 10.5. Looking forward to the lighter travel companion and smaller USBc charger compared to macbook pro 2015 model.

Share This Page

15 November 5, 2018