10.5 Retail: dot zero, or later?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JNB, Aug 27, 2008.

1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

A buddy of mine recently switched (an MBP to run just one app. I hate him! :D), and the app in question is known stable only up to 10.5.2. Anywho, are the retail copies all still at 10.5.0, or are they slowly "upgraded" to more current releases as time goes on? He'd be pretty cranky if his retail box was 10.5.3. I figure worst case I could swap my original Leopard box for his newer version, but I'm hoping that's not necessary.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No idea I am afraid. They are upgraded with time though, I just have no idea what version they are on now. What application is it?

3. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

Guitar Pro or something like that. He's a musician and this is supposed to be The One™ app for guitar recording/dubbing/mixing & that stuff. In that arena I'm clueless.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Guitar Pro is tablature software and I use it on 10.5.4 without problems.

And it isn't recording, dubbing or mixing software - you can create .midi files from it though and import them into something like Logic Pro.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

But to answer your question, my local Apple retail store has OS X 10.5.1 on their shelves last week.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We just got our new boxes of Leopard in, Apple has updated them to 10.5.4

When this happens the old boxes are rotated out of stock and replaced with the new ones. The new boxes have a new product number and these ones have a purple sticker saying that 10.5.4 in enclosed.

6. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

Thanks. Like I said, I'm clueless. I'll pass that along, I just hope I'm remembering the right app (it's something for guitars and it's apparently Mac only, that's all I'm sure of).

Now if I can just get him to join MR, ask his own questions, and not let me look stoopid... ;)

Chundles: looks like we'll be swapping boxes then if he reports problems. He just got his at a Best Buy this evening.

7. kolax macrumors G3

8. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

True, and a good catch, but it was a "calling me on the road in Tennessee while he's on the road in Cleveland" sudden thing, and there's no Apple store in his immediate vicinity. Plus, I have no way of knowing what Best Buy's stock situation is. No matter; if it's 10.5.4 and he doesn't want it, I'll see him in October and we can swap my 10.5.0 disks for his 10.5.whatevers. I just need to convince him to get an iPhone now, and he coulda figured it out on his own. ;)

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I know my BestBuy here in Killeen has 10.5.4 as of yesterday.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hmm, interesting, I don't know a program for the Mac OS that only works up to 10.5.2. That doesn't make sense. If it works on Leopard it works on Leopard at any level.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Might have just been tested to work on 10.5.2, and the developer hasn't gotten around to testing the newer version. Updates do break things.