Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
Just wondering if, historically, server and client versions are released simultaneously? I'm in the market for an xserve and wondering if it might make sense to wait a few more months rather than pay an extra $1k for the OS maintenance agreement.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
I believe that the client and server versions are released together, so I would wait until Leopard comes out for sure.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I would wait. Leopard Server offers some very solid improvements that are worth making sure you have available (TimeMachine server, for example).

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
Cool, thanks for the replies... I gotta say, oooh time machine server. Didn't even think of that one. This purchase has already been put off for a few months, so might just wait at this point.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Cool, thanks for the replies... I gotta say, oooh time machine server. Didn't even think of that one. This purchase has already been put off for a few months, so might just wait at this point.

Yes I would definitely recommend waiting. Having to migrate a server system especially if you have vital data stored on it is not something that you want to do often. It will be much easier just to start with Leopard server.

dharrison9

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
I'd say that they will be because the developer seeds for server and client are being sent at the same time. Unless there are some unforseen bugs in the server version then I'd expect them at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.