10.5 Time Machine Restore to 10.6?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jpellizzi, Aug 2, 2010.

1. jpellizzi macrumors newbie

So I've been on 10.5.8 for the last year, and I have been using Time Machine to back everything up.

My computer won't boot, and I'm going to initialize the drive and install Snow Leopard. My question is, what is the best way to restore all of my applications, data and preferences?

Will I be able to just do a complete system restore using Time Machine from the Snow Leopard disc, after I do a clean install of 10.6?

Any help is much appreciated... thanks!

2. Riverrun macrumors regular

Look for an option saying: "Browse other Time Machine Disk" or a message to that effect after you install SL.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Restoring system from backup AFTER installing 10.6 will downgrade you to 10.5. What you're looking to do is a migration from your Time Machine backup after doing a clean install of 10.6. While going through the Mac OS X Setup Assistant, you'll be asked if you want to migrate and you can choose to migrate from the backup volume/Time Capsule. If you want to run updates before migrating, make sure that you create a user account shortname that is different from the one you're migrating otherwise it'll conflict and ask you to rename one of the accounts.