10.5 when to expect?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
ya but apple apple did say they were slowing down on updates, but the also said we would gave 3ghz PM g5 and we don't so know one really knows.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
haha well i havnt eevn upgreaded to it yet. just was curious when 10.3 was released...wwdc is gettin to me sorry :confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Pistol Pete said:
haha well i havnt eevn upgreaded to it yet. just was curious when 10.3 was released...wwdc is gettin to me sorry :confused:
LOL...I'm tempted to make a joke along the lines of anyone who buys a Mac before Monday is clearly insane, because the next OS X will obviously be released at WWDC, but I'll let you off easy this time. ;)

Here is a history of dates:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_history#Releases

Wikipedia said:
Apple released Mac OS X Server 1.0, in January 1999. A public beta of Mac OS X was released in 2000 and March 24, 2001, saw the full and official release of Mac OS X version 10.0. Version 10.1 shipped around September 25, 2001, followed by the August 24, 2002 release of Mac OS X 10.2 ("Jaguar") and the October 24, 2003 release of Mac OS X 10.3 ("Panther"). Apple released Mac OS X 10.4 ("Tiger") on April 29, 2005 at 6:00 PM, with launch events at all 105 of their worldwide retail stores. It was estimated that each store held at least 1000 copies of Tiger in stock, with the flagship stores, such as the SoHo store in Manhattan carrying at least 5000 copies of the operating system.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
If i had to make an educated Guess. I would say not until the later part of 2006 or Very beginning of 2007

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
iBunny said:
If i had to make an educated Guess. I would say not until the later part of 2006 or Very beginning of 2007
Then it looks like you've been very well educated, iBunny. Leopard will be out, according to Stevie Boy's WWDC announcement, late 2006/early 2007. It looks like we'll have to muddle on with Tiger for a little while longer... ;)

punkbass25

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
am i missing something? didn't jobs say leapord would be released pretty much along side longhorn?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Jaffa Cake said:
Then it looks like you've been very well educated, iBunny. Leopard will be out, according to Stevie Boy's WWDC announcement, late 2006/early 2007. It looks like we'll have to muddle on with Tiger for a little while longer... ;)
It would seem that Leopard will be needed to assist with the transition to Intel. Guess that the old Panther developers are hard at work with Leopard.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
wdlove said:
It would seem that Leopard will be needed to assist with the transition to Intel. Guess that the old Panther developers are hard at work with Leopard.
I think that Tiger is doing the major work for the transition to Intel. Most of Tiger's improvements were making for extensive and clean APIs with a maximum of hardware abstraction for programmers. Looking in hindsight, one could conjecture that this was intended to make an architecture switch and avoid a developer mutiny.

With Tiger's API's only Apple should have to worry about the changes in architecture. The developers should mostly just have to recompile and have everything working as normal. Nice.

Jim

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wdlove said:
At least this means all discussion of MacOS X Liger is thankfully tabled at least until 10.6, by which time, hopefully, all the Napolean Dynamiters will have long since forgotten about the movie. :D