10.5 won't install on my iMac G5....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tululahmoon, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Tululahmoon macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have recently just purchased this beautiful iMac G5 from 2004 off of ebay. The computer was barely used, and in mint condition. Anyway, it had 10.3.5 panther installed on it, and I need to upgrade it to 10.5 leopard so that I can get all of the files off of my old pc. Well, I bought a copy of 10.5 off of ebay also (last week), and when I tried to install the new software, about half way through it keeps giving me countless error messages!

I called apple 3 times to see if they could help, but, to no avail. I've looked on the net, and still no help. I tried to "Reinstall" the 10.3.5 on my computer, but, that is starting to give me error messages also, and won't install all the way through back into the computer. I don't know what else to do? Obviously, I have "supposively" damaged the hardware some how I assume, but, just a week ago the pc was working fantastic. Just to let all of you know I am first time mac user, and really don't know much about upgrading, and all that jazz (Not that it seems too difficult either). I just popped in the cd, and started to install, but, I never downloaded or put anything into the mac since I first purchased it 2 months ago because I was planning on upgrading. This is really holding me back, because I need this computer to have this software on it so that I can install the latest printer I have (For my college homework) as well as to store all of my music on.

Just to add in (I also recently upgraded to 2gb of ram). Now, I don't know what else to do?

2. nufanec macrumors regular

What are the error messages you are receiving.

Without more information, I would suggest trying with the original RAM again, try installing to an external HD, etc.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Exactly how will installing MacOS X 10.5 help you get files from your old PC in ways that MacOS X 10.3 can't? That said, you need a retail disc to install Leopard. If the disc is gray, then it is a System Restore disc for a specific model Mac. You want a disc that is mostly black with a big X on it. What does your disc look like?

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

To be honest, networking in Leopard was far far easier than it was on Tiger (and I'm guessing Panther too), plus having the latest software is always nice, there's nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade...

@Tululahmoon You should have a disc that looks like this:

[​IMG]

And should not look like this:
    [​IMG]

Other than that, if you could give any of the errors that come up, could help us.

This might help as well:

Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard Installation and Setup Guide

5. Tululahmoon thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the retail version of the 10.5, and the install discs that originally came with the computer. Some of the error messages are something like: "Could not find essentials folder", and also "Bad media", as well as "Could not find volumes".

Also, the reason why I want 10.5 is the features, and also to have a newer version of software on my mac. My mac software is not compatabile with stuff I need, and I cannot install a better version of itunes with out a newer version of it that will be on the mac.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's more than possible you have a failing optical drive if it won't install from multiple valid install DVDs.

7. Tululahmoon thread starter macrumors newbie

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Hardware problem: you'd need a new optical drive fitted.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Or you can buy a USB optical drive if having the computer serviced is too expensive. I rarely use the optical drive on my MBP, when it started dying I just bought an external drive, only used it a few times, not a problem.

10. Tululahmoon thread starter macrumors newbie

I Got it to work....

I finally have 10.5 on my mac. The problem was the ram all along. I just didn't install the right ones in. I finally got that taken care of, and it works...thank god! I feel like an idiot though, lol.

Thanks to all that tried to help.