10.6.1 destroyed my Time Capsule/Time Machine setup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paulisme, Sep 15, 2009.

1. paulisme macrumors 6502

Ever since I updated to 10.6.1 I've had the following problems:

- Time Machine does not work at all with my Time Capsule. When it attempts to back up my data, Time Machine gets hung up with a status of "Making backup disk available..." and the icon in the menu bar just spins forever (the status appears in the menu bar icon's menu). I also cannot enter Time Machine; it gets hung trying to connect to the Time Capsule and I have to cancel it. Finder then takes up 100% CPU and I have to power down by holding in the power button (shutting down from the Apple menu doesn't work).

- I store my iTunes library in a folder called Music under the Data folder on the Time Capsule. When I open iTunes, it prompts me to choose my iTunes library. When I do, it starts to load the list of albums, then iTunes locks up and I must force quit it. This also causes my machine to not be able to shut down or restart from the Apple menu.

Oddly enough I can still access the Data folder from Finder with no issues.

I just wanted to put this out there in case other people are having similar problems. It's pretty frustrating as all this worked fine before the 10.6.1 update.

2. Elzlaik macrumors regular

You're not alone. I am having the exact same issues you describe since the 10.6.1 update on my late08 MBP. However, my 09 iMacs are having no such issues. My Time Capsule is now useless. I don't want to format it and start again. I hope Apple fixes this soon. I have found a lot of people complaining about TM issues since the update.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If feasible, I'd roll back to 10.6.0 Personally, I've not applied the .1 update. I started seeing various posts about problems cropping up after the update and I steered clear.

Apple rushed this out the door for some reason and its unfortunately affecting people.

4. paulisme thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have mentioned that I also have a late '08 Unibody MacBook Pro (purchased in November 2008).

5. paulisme thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Elzlaik macrumors regular

7. Elzlaik macrumors regular

My issue solved ... unfortunately

@Paulisme: I did an hour of troubleshooting with Apple today after my own troubleshooting. I discovered the reason for my issue was actually Vuze. On the day 10.6.1 came out I opened Vuze, which wouldn't start my downloads until I updated. The Apple rep told me that there was a file in /library/input methods called CT...something. Every time Time Machine tried to mount the backup, this file was called and disrupted the process. After uninstalling the Vuze toolbar (which get info confirmed was installed last week on my computer on the same day as the 10.6.1 update) by going to /applications/toolbars and clicking uninstall, Time Machine stopped spinning on "Making Backup Disk Available" and finally gave me an error. The rep believes the toolbar somehow damaged the sparsebundle, which disk utility could not repair.

In the end I had to erase the sparsebundle and re-backup, which was really fast on Snow Leopard. Oh well. At least I am backing up again. Just thought I would let you know, in case you are also using Vuze. Though, perhaps your issue may be unrelated.

8. Ellen macrumors regular

On my Macbook, Time Machine/Time Capsule is working fine after I upgraded to Snow Leopard. But on my iMac, I can backup only if I use Time Capsule as a "guest". When I try to initiate a backup as a registered user, my Time Capsule password is rejected. Resetting the Time Capsule, trying to fix the keychain etc. doesn't make a difference.