10.6 / 10.7 (3D desktops)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by o0samotech0o, Mar 23, 2009.

1. o0samotech0o macrumors regular

in snow leopard, i know it won't happen but, i just really want a big leap in the way we use our Macs.

A lot more features (UI features) and different ways of organizing things, ect.

For years we have just used the folders technique, and we shall carry on to, most probably, but a different way of using them, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ

No, it's not practical realistically, but it's doing things differently.

And this could be done with a mouse, it doesn't matter, i just want a new way of doing things (and innovative). Greedy it sounds, but i reckon it's true for most users of any OS. So far Apple has been the best at this, and this is why i own a Mac, but i think so much more can be done, that is within developers limits.

Bit off topic of snow leopard, i just wish it wasn't all about speed, but of course we don't know that it's only about speed, could be about more stuff, but not many new features, as they said it won't be focusing on them.

But i hope it wow's us Apple hasn't let anyone down so far. I know people were whining about copy & Paste, but they sorted it out, so it's all good.

Do you remember when Apple patented this a while back?
    [​IMG]
    So, do you reckon this will be in 10.7? Cause it doesn't look like it'll be in 10.6, from what we have seen so far.

Maybe 10.6 is speeding up, for the heavy 3d desktops in 10.7 :D lol :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    -Sam

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you do a little digging, you'll see what I've said about OS XI.

They are not going to do this for any of the OS X releases.

3. o0samotech0o thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, you reckon OS XI? I hate to think your right :(

I WANT IT NOW :( lol :p

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No.

Screen edge = easy to get to.

"3d" elements = Not on the edge = windows style buttons, click click click = bad.

Windows users rarely use the menu bar because it's not on the upper edge. Instead, they love to waste time turtling around icons by mousing over them to see descriptions, see it's not the one, mouse over the other icon, etc.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

note that Tallest Skil isn't any more informed than anyone else on this site. He's just a know-it-all, who doesn't know it all. Who cares what he's said in the past about a 3D desktop?

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

You write that with such certainty, what's your source?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The same source that made Tallest Skil so sure that the new Mac mini would be all aluminum and drop the white plastic.

8. kunze50 macrumors regular

3D can stay away for now, but I do think the future OSX desktop could use a bit of control. A good improvement could be the ability to control different selections/groups of desktop items to have different arrangements. A few dominate folders could snap to grid while photo's and documents could be placed around and arranged by date.:rolleyes:

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Funny that I never said that, though. You have to have some plastic parts or reception gets shot all to heck.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I never said you said they'd drop all plastic, I said that you stated that Apple would drop the "Apple white" plastic look.