10.6.2 Caused an Empty Menu Bar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xXriderXx7, Nov 10, 2009.

1. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Hi all,

I updated last night to 10.6.2 and noticed that my menu bar had all of it's icons missing, including clock, istat, etc. I re-downloaded the combo update from Apple in hopes that I just had a one-off upgrade, but no luck. Ive attached a picture to display what Im talking about.

I dont know if this matters, but I had a theme installed off of Macthemes2.net, so I uninstalled that, but the menu bar is still empty, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    xXriderXx7

Attached Files:

2. arnaudsj macrumors newbie

Same thing ehre

I had not even messed with anything on SL. Just installed iStats as an add-on and that's it. Now all my system menu bar items are gone, and when going in preferences they refuse to be selected. WTF?

How many people are experiencing this?

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

From the looks of the screenshot it does seem possible to be theme related, but that is apparently not the case on the 2nd post.

4. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I had this same problem yesterday and posted about it in the announcement thread. I fixed it after I remembered that I disabled the spotlight icon by modifying the Search.bundle in /System/Library/CoreServices. I reverted back to the default Search.bundle, killed and restarted the SystemUIServer from Activity Monitor, and all was well again.

There's some tutorials online that have you do this through terminal, you basically CD to the CoreServices directory, then sudo mv Search.bundle/ Search2.bundle/ and that will remove the spotlight icon after restarting the SystemUIServer. So if you've done this, I would recomment restoring the default Search.bundle and either restarting your Mac, or launch Activity Monitor and kill the SystemUIServer.

Just another thing to note. I had this exact issue, and even when I went to the System Preferences and tried to enable the clock to be shown from Date & Time, the box was unchecked, and when I tried checking it, it would immediately go back to being unchecked. The Spotlight icon modification was the only type of modification I did. I disabled every third-party item from starting up, and I don't use themes.

5. arnaudsj macrumors newbie

Thank you this did the trick!

Now if only I could get rid of this annoying Spotlight icon (since I have disabled)

6. xXriderXx7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Could someone post their default Search.bundle?

EDIT: I fixed it. I had a copy of Snow Leopard on my hard drive and opened it up with Pacifist. I found the Search.bundle folder, extracted it to my desktop, then deleted the Search2.bundle on my hard drive in System>Library>Core Services, and replaced the Search.bundle in the same directory. Then I killed SystemUIServer through Activity Monitor, and all is well!

7. vincentoutzen macrumors newbie

hey,

could someone attach the "Search.bundle" file?
    I used the revert command "sudo mv Search2.bundle/ Search.bundle/" but its still missing : /

thank you, vincent

8. xXriderXx7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Here it is, if this is against the rules Ill take it down.

Attached Files:

9. vincentoutzen macrumors newbie

thank you soo much dude : )
    but be careful, its the german file!

10. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

So what does that mean? No good for eng installs?

11. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

Here's the full Search.bundle from my machine with all the language packages.

Glad to see this is working for everyone!

Attached Files:

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

13. darkwing macrumors 65816

Or rather Apple did, by forcing a wasteful and bloated service on those who don't want it.

14. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

FYI, if anyone wants to disable the spotlight icon, I found this tweak that does the trick and keeps the rest of the icons intact.

Launch Terminal and run the following command

sudo chmod 600 /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Search

Then, killall SystemUIServer and once it restarts, poof, your Spotlight Icon should be gone, but everything else should still be there.

15. Ezrem macrumors newbie

I tried that command and I still have my spotlight icon...odd...