10.6.2 killed my mac, please help...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elee888, Nov 11, 2009.

1. elee888 macrumors newbie

I installed 10.6.2 last night on my 2.2Ghz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro and it installed all the way to 100% and then it did a restart by itself, but when it was restarting, nothing came up. Not even the Apple chime. I hear the dvd drive make the usual start up/grind noise and I hear brief access to the HD. The screen stays black. Tried PRAM and SMC reset, no dice. Genius Bar told me that it's hardware related and it will cost me $330 to fix the logicboard. I just find it really odd that it died right after the update. What are the chances? My MBP was running great before the update.

Does anyone know if there is any way to boot from the DVD drive and try to do an archive and install from the DVD? I hear the DVD drive start up when I power on, but I'm not sure if I want to take a chance of having the DVD get stuck in the drive because the machine won't boot up. If this won't work, can I still do a "target disk mode" and try to recover my data with another mac?

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

take it to the apple store if its still under warranty. if it doesnt start up for them, they will try to fix it. if they are unsucessfull, (which they probably wont be) then they will give u a whole new computer and refurbish your old one and sell it. this is probably the best thing to do since if u had any scratches u could have none. =) good luck!

3. elee888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its out of warranty but he said they will fix it for $330 flat fee vs. $1400 because it's in excellent condition.

4. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Did you check online to see if you could purchase a new logic board for your model laptop? Isn't that hard to replace yourself.

Just a suggestion, hope it helps.

5. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    if you're not game to try a reinstall using the MBPro's disc drive then see if you can borrow an external drive and using a 10.5 install dvd, restart holding down the 'option' key.
    this will allow you to access the 10.5 disc as the startup disc and you should be able to do an 'archive and install'.
    when this is complete, you Home folder will be located in 'Previous System Folder'

if it don't work then you may need to take the AppleStore option and pay the $ but at least your files will all still be there.

the above worked for me when I reverted to 10.5 after getting fed up with the erratic behavior of 10.6 - not to mention the constant whirring fans when using my MBAir on my lap.

they should've called it Husky (as in snow dog) instead of Snow Leopard

6. kolax macrumors G3

Sounds like your 8600M GT graphics card failed, potentially a huge coincidence; there is some heat generated when installing an OS X update (fans don't spin up soon enough..) and maybe that's all it needed was just a wee bit to finish it off.

Have you noticed any video distortions recently?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Read that - you do have an extended warranty on the GPU.

7. elee888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can this be any kind of DVD drive? I think my friend has one for his pc. What about starting in Target disk mode. Would that work?

Thanks

8. kolax macrumors G3

If your GPU has failed, you won't be able to do anything to get it working again. You'll be able to get your data off your Mac (but you should have a backup.. Time Machine, right?) though.

The screen remaining blank is an obvious sign that the GPU has failed. Even if OS X 10.6.2 corrupted files or whatever, you'd still get the grey screen and then just a "?" over your Macintosh HD icon.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I wish people would stop saying, Snow Leopard "KILLED" my Mac, or my printer or whatever. The genius told the OP that it was hardware related so this thread title is misleading. Just happened to be a coincidence. Also, I hope the OP realizes that it takes a lot more work for the system to install updates for the OS vs. installing a standard application, if the hardware was failing it would show up during a major software install for the OS.

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

why

why is it that software upgrades seem to be scary points in time. I remember when we looked forward to them for fixes and new functionality. Now, it is just a wait and see and wonder, will my machine works as well as before, or not?

11. northcob macrumors newbie

10.6.2 DID kill my Mac

or more correctly my son's MacBook Pro.

It was left to do the update unattended and some time later there was nothing on the screen (or more correctly screens). Repeated restarts still come up with a blank screen whether or not the external screen is connected. We have been through the usual PRAM and SMC resets.

We are fairly sure that computer is actually restarting. It looks as if the GPU is failing to initialise following a firmware change contained in the 10.6.2 update.

Any ideas how to reinitialise the GPU. I would need a lot of convincing this is a hardware problem.

Do other people with this problem have external screens. Have any iMacs with external screens had this issue?

12. kolax macrumors G3

Does the MacBook Pro have the 8600M GT GPU? Sounds like it too, failed..

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

There were no firmware updates included with 10.6.2. I would suggest a trip to the genius bar, or a call to AppleCare.

14. northcob macrumors newbie

Found the problem

I think I found the problem. Now I think back it happened to my wife's very early Intel MBP some time ago.

The problem is that the OS is turning off the screen backlight as if it is asleep.

Google MacBook Pro Black screen and you will find a load of fixes.

Sometime you can see the image on the screen by looking at it obliquely or using a flashlight. Then login and it should light up. Try shutting the lid (or Power followed by S) to put it to sleep and then wake it up again.

I will lay odds that it is totally a software issue whatever Apple support tell you.

15. northcob macrumors newbie

16. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

your leg just happened to break as i hit it with my car

17. kolax macrumors G3

Your Mac heats up quite a bit when doing an OS X update - fans don't come on quick enough. Only when the restart is done, do the fans slowly start to spin up. If the GPU was already on its last legs, that heat might have been all it needed.

My GPU failed when I had finished an encoding and just shut the lid to put my Mac to sleep. Things were fine right up until I shut the lid..