10.6.3: Timeline?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ipedro, Nov 29, 2009.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

When should we expect 10.6.3 to be released according to observed precedence patterns?

Snow Leopard originally improved the performance of my brand new 17" MBP but lately Safari and the OS in general have seem to be slowing to a halt, often crashing some applications.

Wasn't this supposed to be the OS that refined Leopard? :rolleyes:

I understand that there will be bugs but I expected Snow Leopard to have had the major bugs worked out since that's the principal goal of this version of OS X.

I'm optimistic for 10.6.3 though. Often, OS X gets the most visible bugs worked out by then.

What stage is it at now? When can we expect it to be released? Less than 2 months from now? Longer?

2. celticpride678

I don't see it getting released earlier than February '10.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

basis?

4. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

These are release dates for the first three versions on OS 10.6 Leopard:

10.5.0 9A58126 October 2007
    10.5.1 9B18 15 November 2007
    10.5.2 9C31 11 February 2008
    10.5.3 9D34 28 May 2008

It looks like a range of a few weeks for the earlier updates to three months for the later versions. Based on that precedent, we should see 10.5.3 around January.

5. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Yeah, we haven't even heard of a leaked build yet.

If it's really bad, I would highly suggest reinstalling Snow Leopard.

6. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

^^ That's what I did.

I had originally upgraded to Snow Leopard from Leopard and I had severe issues with using administrator privileges, so bad that AppleCare referred me directly to Snow Leopard's development team.

I got tired of waiting for a fix and installed Snow Leopard on a brand new HDD and it was great until things eventually just started bogging down and it all got worse after 10.6.1.

I hoped that 10.6.2 would fix the issues but it hasn't. Hence the wait for "the 3rd update" that's earned a reputation for finally being the one that's free from major bugs in every version of OS X.

I learned my lesson. When OSX 10.7 comes out, I'm waiting for 10.7.3 to install it.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It comes out when its ready, unless you're looking for a specific fix/feature. I'd not sweat it.

8. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

My specific fix/feature: Find out why Safari hogs all the system resources grinding the entire system to a halt ... and fix it.

There are also other resource hogging services within the OS itself that sometimes spontaneously take over all the CPU resources making my top of the line 17" MBP look like a $200 netbook doing basic things such as using the Finder or checking my email.

I'm eager for 10.6.3 because the third update is traditionally the one that finally gets things working like they should. I recall that happening with both Tiger and Leopard. By 10.5.7, Leopard was humming along without a single issue.... then eventually, I installed Snow Leopard and I'm back to an unreliable, sometimes excruciatingly slow OS.

9. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Sorry to say it is you, but it is you. Some dodgy software you installed, &/or some hack(s) you did, &/or some (poorly or non) supported h/w you're using.

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Agreed. Office for Mac messed up SL for me... :s

11. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Nope. I did a clean install and I have no additional software other than Adobe Creative Suite (not even all the apps: just Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver), Aperture, iLife and iWork.

I've done no hacks, Snow Leopard and Safari are just simply buggy -- there are many threads on the matter. The problems are well documented on this forum and on Apple's Support pages.

I don't live with the problem constantly but I do see the beachball all too many times and Safari often experiences graphical aberrations when going to a page from "Top Sites". I've gone as far as to delete Safari, it's cache, cookies and preference files and reinstalled and the issues are still there.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I got news for you, but that has been an issue since Safari came out. I do not foresee apple resolving this in any .x release. Heck I don't foresee apple ever fixing this.

Just look as OSX, it is a resource hog, never mind some of the apps that run on it.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

And what OS are you comparing this with?

Normally every version of OSX has run quicker than the last, because it makes more efficient use of resources.

14. Warcraft Tauren macrumors member

no major/minor here. SL has been perfect for me.

the only bug i know of is the kernal panic when running vmware, parallels, or boot camp. it is a bug created by apple. Its an issue with the NTFS partitions. Hopefully they''ll fix that soon.

15. Velorium macrumors member

Have you considered some sort of issue between your hard drive and your logic board? Usually with issues on a fresh install it's a hardware issue. I just took my 13" MBP in 4 times last month to solve an issue that turned out to be the SATA ribbon. It was giving me everything from kernel panics to issues with Keychain and disk IO errors even after they replaced the hard drive twice.

Have you given NTFS-3G a try?

16. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I'd guess Feb 2010...about a month after iwork/ilife comes out

17. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

SL worked just fine when I did the clean install. The problems arose around the time 10.6.1 came out.

18. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Looks like I may have found a culprit which explains why some people have no issues and others do.

Check your ISP.

I found an odd pattern. Whenever I was at Starbucks with my MBP, I'd be there working on Aperture for hours on end without any issues. When I got home and worked on it from there, I'd experience a lot of the Safari issues hogging resources bogging down the entire OS and even having TimeMachine's backup slowing things down.

I connected the dots and found that whenever the MBP was connected to my network, I'd have problems, when it wasn't, it was smooth sailing.

So I tracked it down to my ISP's DNS service. I've changed my DNS to Google's new Public DNS and so far, things have been working like they should. Safari hasn't crashed, I haven't seen any beachballs and when I go to a URL, it loads instantly, instead of the noticeable pause and frequent beachball. Safari is no longer the bully on the block beating up all the other applications and the OS itself.

I suppose that other Internet reliant apps would cause the same problems such as Mail, iPhoto (Facebook album updating), iCal (mobileME sync) and even the Finder. They were accessing the Internet through my ISP's crippled DNS service.

Bonus: Now whenever I input an incorrect URL, I don't get my ISP's page loaded with ads and irrelevant URL suggestions. Either Google's DNS corrects it or I get a "Safari can't find server" page that loads instantly.

19. stuartyeadon macrumors newbie

So far Snow Leopard has been fairly stable for me running 10.6.2, though I've recently had some hardware problems with Digidesign. The problems being more their lack of support than the OS itself.

I tend to find it comforting to do the Combo Update from Apple's website on 10.6.2 rather then via software update to make sure nothing is missed out upon updating. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959

Hopefully 10.6.3 will bring the general 'snappy' feel to the OS back and keep it that way! It seems Betas are knocking about however, which is promising! http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/12/08/apple_preparing_first_betas_of_mac_os_x_10_6_3.html

20. Yamcha macrumors 68000

As fast as Snow Leopard is I'd seriously love to see even more of a performance increase.. But yeah I've personally been having some issues with Safari crashing.. as well as the application speed download.. but other then that it works perfectly..

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol hardly

for instance, tiger runs much faster on my emac than leopard ever has

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not since Tiger. 10.5 and to a lessor extent 10.6 are resource hogs. OSX runs very well but one thing you cannot say about them is they're svelte. In fact 10.5 runs markedly slower then 10.4 which was in a sense the pinnacle of performance and resources.

23. Yamcha macrumors 68000

24. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Problem Solved.

25. xXxS1lv3rxXx macrumors newbie

I wouldn't go that far... Apple will test these just enough to get you to buy it. :D