10.6.3 update caused my software raid 0 array to disappear

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jdhorner, Mar 31, 2010.

1. jdhorner macrumors member

jdhorner

The thread title pretty much says it all.

Before 10.6.3, I had 2 x 500gb internal sata drives set up in a software raid0 configuration, working great.

After the update, only one of the two drives shows, while the other says "missing/damaged" in both disk utility and terminal "diskutil checkraid".

I'd hate to lose the near-terabyte of information, so before I say it's dust, I'd love some input.

Something else that I find interesting is that the "Serial-ATA" tab in the System Profiler.app says this "There was an error while scanning for Serial-ATA devices." whereas before it simply listed all four of my internal drives.

I'm running a Mac Pro quad core, with a modified ATI 4890 HD 1gb video card, but that's working fine thanks to Cindori and Netkas's update.

Also, in Disk Utility, the "missing/damaged" disk is showing up as "Media" in disk utility, listed where it should be in Bay 4, with no mount node, no SMART status, etc... Sort of just a shell drive or something.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to re-convince OS X that the drive is actually part of a raid slice? And/or how to get my Serial-ATA section of System Profiler.app to work correctly again?

So far I've reset PRAM, reset the SMC, and repaired disk permissions with disk utility.

Thanks in advance.

2. jdhorner thread starter macrumors member

jdhorner

just a quick bump in case anyone had any ideas. :/

3. frimple macrumors 6502

Just curious, are you booting off of the CD that came with your pro when you describe the disks that you see?

4. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

You have a RAID 0 array which you *haven't* got backed up?

Sorry but that is just BEGGING for data loss!

Not a very helpful post but god sort your backups out!

I have four copies of things, one of which is offsite and my data isn't job critical...

5. jdhorner thread starter macrumors member

jdhorner

No, should I do that? This is when I boot from my normal internal hard drive.

6. jdhorner thread starter macrumors member

jdhorner

Any crucial data is already backed up. The data on this array is neither crucial nor irreplaceable. It's just a lot. Which is why I was asking for ideas before I wiped both drives and started from scratch.

Furthermore, I made this post not to complain about data loss, but to state that the problem was caused by the 10.6.3 update. Because of this, I was hoping it happened to someone else and they discovered a solution, or that there may be a general solution I was not yet aware of.

7. jdhorner thread starter macrumors member

jdhorner

Also, I still think it's something wrong with the SATA controller, due to the error message I posted as well.

Has anyone seen that before?

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

You no i had someone weird happen to me today as well after i updated. Before i do any major updates and make sure the permissions are repaired and the disk verified.

Once i did this sure it fixed some disk permission problems but when it verified the HDD it was fine

After the updates were done i verified the hdd again and it said it couldn't fix it and i had to boot off the DVD to complete the repair very odd.

Have you though about reinstalling? it won't nuke the entire drive but only remove the system folder and preserv the home folders.

9. Altimeter88 macrumors member

I have had two separate RAID 0 fail due to some type of corruption not a physical drive failure, in both cases using disk utility to fix the problem did not work, both times it said I had to reformat the drives.
    I thought I was screwed because it was RAID 0 but I found a program called DiskWarrior and it was able to analyze and rebuild my array and there was no data loss.
    I used it to fix a 3x500GB RAID 0 set that was physically in my Mac Pro about a year and a half ago and just two weeks ago I used to to fix a 4x1TB RAID 0 set that is housed in an external port multiplier enclosure connected to a HighPoint eSATA RAID card in my Mac Pro.
    The program isn't a substitue for a proper backup but it is great to have.

10. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Fair points. Can I ask why you have it in a RAID0 array? Im assuming you do some sort of video work otherwise I can't see a benefit?

11. jdhorner thread starter macrumors member

jdhorner

I just wanted one big storage disk instead of two smaller ones.

Since there seems to be a problem with a system function (the SATA error in system profiler) I'm going to reinstall the 10.6.3 update from the full download, and see if that knocks things around a bit.

12. jdhorner thread starter macrumors member

jdhorner

And, as a final update, I was able to download and install the full 10.6.3 combo update from Apple, and that did the trick. With no further steps, my raid 0 array was back without complaint, and the system profiler 'bug' was gone. Must have been something that went a bit wonky during the software update, previously.

13. Zombieslayer240 macrumors newbie

I apologize for reviving a dead thread, but this is EXACTLY the same problem I am having; the only difference is that I am on 10.6.4.... I have the same system profiler bug and one of my RAID0 drives was renamed to "Media". I talked to the Applecare representative (the "next guy up" techie I was referred to) for about 2 hours; conclusion? No idea what caused it or how to fix besides initializing the drive!

Any help to get it working (and thus recover data) again??