10.6.4 and behavior I have never seen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gameface, Sep 20, 2010.

1. gameface macrumors 6502

Let me preface this that I have been using Macs for the last ~10 years exclusively. This is the first time I have witnessed anything like this.

I had FCP open and I was 'log and transferring' a bunch of footage from P2 cards to my RAID. While that was busy working I was surfing the web in FF and listening to tunes via itunes. I had itunes mini player open. I wanted to see more info about a song and tried hitting the green button to maximize. Nothing happened. So I try command+tab but I get a 'bonk' sound and I don't switch apps. I though it was odd that even when I clicked on itunes the menu bar still said firefox.

Next I did the good 'ol command+option+esc to see if itunes was 'not responding'. this is what I see:

[​IMG]

Odd... no apps appear here even though I had 3 open not including Finder.

So I go to my dock and click on finder and I get this dialog box:
    [​IMG]

So I tried going up to the Apple icon and chose shutdown. I clicked OK and waited and the machine never shut down. I had to to a hard shutdown. Upon restarting all is right with the world again. It's just weird that I have never run into anything like this in all this time and this new machine as been working perfectly since the day I got it.

:confused:

Attached Files:

2. gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

I have 4 internal drives, a 4-bay RAID5 external via eSata and 2 FW800 drives hooked up right now, so the drive thing actually seems like a valid reason. But in the past I have had even more. I reset launch services, set spotlight not to search my media drives and am running Onyx now. We'll see if it continues happening in the future.

Thanks!