10.6.4 and wifi with no internet access

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silvrbullet, Jun 16, 2010.

1. silvrbullet macrumors regular

To make a long story short, I updated my MBP to 10.6.4 last night and now the wifi doesn't connect to the internet. It can see the wireless network and connect to it, but it wont allow me internet access. I'm currently in a hotel, as Im on a business trip, so I really need internet access. Is there a way I can go back to 10.6.3?

Everything was working fine until I did the update. My iPad(non-3G) still connects to the internet just fine...

Any ideas??

2. Queso macrumors G4

Are you getting an IP address? The Mac rather famously times out its DHCP requests much faster than Windows, which can lead to issues if the hotel chain has its DHCP server located on another site. I normally get round it by going into my Networking Preferences>Advanced>TCP/IP panel and clicking the Renew DHCP button multiple times.

If you're not getting a real IP you'll instead get one that begins 169.254 which is just the autoconfig range. That isn't routable, which would explain the lack of Internet.

3. mikezang macrumors 6502a

My Mac mini met the same problems!

Until yesterday it was no any problems, but today when I boot it, I found that I can connect to Internet and I found ip is 169.254.xx.yy, I reboot a lot of times, but same result.

I bought this Mac mini just two weeks ago, what can I do?

By the way, here is my DHCP list, there is no Mac mini:
    192.168.1.27 LAN    ThinkPadT43  
    192.168.1.29 Wireless linli     
    192.168.1.30 Wireless mikezangs-iPad
    192.168.1.32 Wireless linli1995a-PC
    192.168.1.33 Wireless WindowsXP   

4. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

Everytime I get a call on this issue from one of my clients, I tell them to go through the "assist me" menu and follow those steps.
    This is to those who get a 169. address

[​IMG]

5. silvrbullet thread starter macrumors regular

I will have to check my IP when I get back. I know it was assigning me one, but I dont remember the range.

I did hit the renew button several times, but it kept giving me the same IP address....

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Probably bad preference files.

Turn off your Airport and then go to Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration

and move com.apple.airport.preferences.plist to the trash. Enter in your account password and restart the computer and see if that retrieves the proper IP address.

7. f2002q macrumors newbie

Same thing...

I also experienced wireless problems. I attempted to upgrade but during the download phase, I kept getting errors saying that there were problems with my network. I was forced to cancel the upgrade and connect with an ethernet cable and reset the AirPort Extreme before the wireless came back to life and I could continue the upgrade.

This happened about 3 or 4 times before all files finally downloaded and I could complete the upgrade.

8. silvrbullet thread starter macrumors regular

I tried the assist me already, it didn't help.

I tried deleting this file and it still didn't change anything.

What else can I try? I don't have access to Ethernet at all......

9. silvrbullet thread starter macrumors regular

Also, I just went to a cafe that has wifi and I can connect to the Internet there. How can I force the dhcp to assign me a different IP address?

I guess this is probably an issue with the crappy hotel wifi and not the 10.6.4 update.....

10. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

what ip are they handing out to you?
    post pictures of it if possible.

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

btw, you should return your Mac Mini for the brand new one that just came out...SWEET little machine...:D

12. mikezang macrumors 6502a

I got the reason for my Mac mini with 169.254.xxx.yyy ip address.

There is a ADSL modem plus a wireless router at my home. The modem's default LAN ip is 192.168.3.1, but I am not sure about Network so I set router ip to 192.168.1.1.

The result is DHCP on router didn't work and there are 4 LAN ports so only 4 machines can be connected.

Now I set router ip to 192.168.3.100 so all machines can get correct ip from DHCP.

But I am not sure if I can set router ip to 192.168.3.1?

Attached Files: