10.6.4 Netkas update for 4890?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Morisato, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Morisato macrumors member

Does it exist yet? I upgraded from 10.6.0 only to realize it errors when trying to get the QECI package.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I don't quite understand why people bother to update before a fix exist.

Hilarious ;)

3. maghemi macrumors 6502

A lot of the time because they forget about it.

4. Bunsen Burner macrumors regular

Or the released patches simply do not work.

5. MacVidCards Suspended

He doesn't OWE anybody anything.

Most certainly not a patch to make 4890s work.

I imagine he has other things he does with his life.

Perhaps one of the Ebay folks selling 4890s on his back would like to write it this time?

6. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

This is why I bought the Apple boxed 4870. for my 1,1 Macpro.

7. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Shame it can't be powered by self congratulation.....You might have been able to make some of the money back that you overpaid Apple through saved electricity :-D

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I updated like a fool too and it broke my graphics card.

Worse still reinstalling from scratch to 10.6.3 was ok, but migration assistant went doolally all over my time machine backup and flecked up permissions on the drive so I can't access it, and now I have a project with no access to my project files to complete :(

There are vast cost savings, but in hindsight the impracticality of always having to watch your back every time you update, and always with the chance it could brick is not why a lot of us became mac users in the first place.

In this regard I'm sad I didn't just pay the extra money for the apple card. Sure it's overpriced and has less memory, but it will always work with updates and you won't have to watch your back. Those things are priceless.

I've now ponied up the dough for an 'overpriced' Mac GTX285 from Apple Store and will rest easy again when it's installed :)

Kudos to Netkas though who is in the middle of exams and must be getting bombardedvwith folks on his case. Rominator is right though that he owes no-one any favors. I just wish him best of luck with exams.

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

With all respect to You, this is obviously TRUE ;)

All of you people, whose are running flashed 4870/90 (not reference) should wait with OS upgrade until WORKING patch will be released (by netkas).

Anyone using reference PCB 4870 (512 MB) flashed card (with ORIGINAL, not modified ROM) - install 10.6.4 and don't worry.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I did it without thinking. Had so much work on, myriad of screens and open windows, chaos all around me and when software update window popped on, I just said ok without giving it a second thought as my mind was on so many other things.

It's an easy mistake, one in future I will be confident won't happen now I have ordered an official card to replace my flashed 4870.

11. MacVidCards Suspended

10.6.4 fix....maybe?

guy on insanelymac got 4870 fixed on Hack....anyone with buggered 4870 want to try?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=221575&view=findpost&p=1492696

I hope that these troubles don't put too much of a stain on GPU flashing. The ONLY cards with issues are 48xx series. The reason? it's that damn MDP port !!! Since the ONLY Apple EFI and drivers were written to accommodate MDP port the original issue was NO Dual Link on upper port. This made sense as Apple's MDP port only outputs Dual Link when it is connected to a $100 adapter that sends it's own edid into mix and sorts the Dual Link output. Since we have never found a 48xx series card with exact same function, ALL of the 48xx cards have had some compromise. At first it was just lack of Dual Link on upper port. Then we found some cards could not run 2 @ DVI ports at once.

Lord Apple gave us a fix in 10.6 and tooketh away in 10.6.3.

If Apple KEEPS UPDATING kexts the same way, it is going to be harder and harder to keep ptching 10.6.2 kexts to fit in as rest of ATI kexts keep getting newer.

I think it may be time to start a new thread with pix of 4870 cards that still work in 10.6.4. just like they did in 10.6.2. I am hopeful that there still are some.

But again, note that these software updates have had no effect whatsover on flashed cards that have identical layout to Apple OEM cards. Thus, the LARGE number of people with flashed 8800GT cards have not reported any issues or weirdness. This is because the flashed cards are 100% identical in terms of function to the OEM. The flashed GTX285 cards are also 100% identical to Apple OEM, and they have been also exempt from any trouble with OS updates.

The few people with flashed 3870 and 2600 cards have also not reported a single issue, again because flashed cards have nearly identical layout to OEM. Nor have we heard complaints from owners of flashed Quadros. All of the other flashed Mac Pro cards have escaped this fate. All of this trouble has come from flashed 4870 cards using Dul DVI ports instead of DVI & MDP.

Keep in mind that MDP port is considered a "protected" output. As in WHEN BluRay comes out on Macs, our flashed 48xx cards will likely have issues with outputting HD content over that missing MDP port.

The 4890 cards are now ESPECIALLY problematic because they have same MDP/DVI issue as 4870, with additional complication of having their Device ID not being written into Apple's kexts/drivers. So 4890 cards are double cursed at this time.

I am gong to dig out my XFX 4870 and test it in 10.6.4. If it still works s before I will start a "Flashed cards immune to 10.6.4" thread.

Perhaps there is a group of people laughing up in Cupertino. By tossing this little bit of trouble into the flashing waters they are getting many Nervous Nellies to just PAY the Apple Tax. Fact is, IT IS ONLY CERTAIN FLASHED 4870s and ALL of the flashed 4890s that are having issues. Rest of flashed card universe is unaffected by these issues.

I am going to test the 4870 or 2 I have here and report in new "Immune to 10.6.3/4" thread. Lets figure out which cards are most compatible and won't require magic tricks from our beleagured (and BUSY) geniuses with each update of the OS. Who has a flashed 4870/512 of the reference design? These are the cards with large red fan like the Apple one. I have a feeling those are working fine in 10.6.4, with Dual DVI, etc.

12. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Problem is in ROM modification. EVERY 4870 which took non modified (Apple original) ROM will be "update immune". I've tested it before with 10.6.3 update.

13. AjeeB macrumors member

oh ! I just forget about patch !
    I update and install and fool update with this file !
    qe_ci 10.6.4 pkg with (ati4800contoller and 2000 ) !
    now I get error while boot MAC os - but still get into bootcamp ! and mac-safemode
    any idea how to roll-back? I mean how to uninstall manualy

BR :eek:

14. g4monsterau macrumors newbie

4870 512mb /1gb original reference works with 10.6.4

Hi Rominator,

I can confirm that a flashed Sapphire HD 4870 512mb & 1GB version work perfectly with 10.6.4 Dual display as well

Both my cards are in 06 mac pro's. These cards are original reference design.

My friend also has a flashed sapphire like this one

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/pimg/GX-188-SP_400.jpg

which also works with 10.6.4

15. AjeeB macrumors member

I fix permissions so I get my mac-osx back ! but still no QECI ! we still waiting hope it's comes soon
    BR ;)

16. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

I'm currently examining the QE_CI i had working back on 10.6.3 and the newer one netkas made. Anyone kind and knowledgeable enough to point me on some direction?

17. AjeeB macrumors member

18. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

19. AjeeB macrumors member

thanks for help but it does not work !
    I still get (no signal) when turn to bootcamp ! and then have to manually change to DVI 2 ! :confused:
    also I fix permission ! all tested nothing
    any idea ppl?
    br