Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jadzea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Since upgrading to 10.6.5 I have had DNS problems.

Whilst nslookup and ping will resolve the DNS names to their correct IP addresses, safari and other services won't.

The problem seems to be related purely to CNAME entries which are in a different forward lookup zone to the A record.

For instance if we had a forward lookup zone of foo.bar and an A record of www going to 10.1.1.15 (http://www.foo.bar = 10.1.1.15) and then a CNAME record of go in a zone bloo.by (go.bloo.by = http://www.foo.bar) then ping and nslookup will resolve go.bloo.by to 10.1.1.15 but it seems safari can't.

Anyone else??

Read more about this problem and similar DNS issues here http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2648002&tstart=0

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
I've got the problem, but no solution.

Thought I had a corrupted update, but I did a fresh Install over the weekend and the problem persists.

Jadzea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Out of zone CNAME problem fixed

To fix this problem you need to change your CNAMEs to A records.

It seems that mac os x 10.6.5 doesn't trust domains that are aliases for A records in a different zone. Understandably I think when you start to think about the potential for hackers/viruses etc.

RevyGuy

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
simple fix?

at work we run MS Exchange 2003 and are on an older Windows Server (2003) as well - I can access the server for files, etc but exchange won't work internally, nor will remote desktop.

any ideas on an easy (non-technical) fix - about 40% of us are on Mac's and our IT department (of only 2) can't figure this one out.

PraveenBhalla

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
Cheap Domain Name Registration Service Provier India

# Unlimited Mail Forwards:

Create email forwards @yourdomainname.com that redirect to existing email accounts.
# Domain Theft Protection:

Lock your domain name, so that your domain is not transferred out accidentally or without your permission.
# Bulk Tools:

Register, Renew, Transfer and make other changes to multiple Domain Names in a single step
# Domain Forwarding:

Automatically forward people to whatever website you want, when they type your domain name into a browser (with / without domain masking & SEO)

Last edited:

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
So I am still seeing this issue in safari (and other browsers), but Mail seems to be behaving better. As soon as I discovered the issue, I went into Mail Preferences and set up the internal and external addresses for our exchange server. This didn't work immediately, and I had to keep switching the settings for the "internal" server depending if I was at home or the office.

At some point, internal/external settings finally started working again. I deleted and recreated the account several times. Not sure what finally resolved it - I think it was probably recreating the account while on the internal network and setting both addresses right from the beginning.

If I have to hit one of the CNAMEd servers from a browser, they work on Windows from a VM...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.