Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
I was curious if anyone else with SSD's in place of their MacBook Pro optical drives have had any trouble with OS updates. My brand new 2.8 GHz i7 has been hanging on "Optimizing system for installed software..." for almost 2 hours while trying to install the 10.6.5 update. Any past experience would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just trying to decide if I should continue to let it run, as I just don't want to screw up the system by a force shut down. The progress bar has slowly diminished and is finally about a millimeter from the end, but hasn't seemed to budge in a while.

Thanks guys and gals!

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
I can't help you with the issue, but my update took ~5 mins, so I think its dead, you can just kill it.

mlchang

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
I have a 2006 mac pro, and am stuck on "running package scripts"

Have intel SSD as boot drive...

Not the same situation, but you know just wanted to let you know that it's not just you.

jackapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Well, I just got back home and it still hadn't budged, so I powered down and restarted, ejected my external HD and optical media, and this time it installed in under 2 minutes. Go figure...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.