10.6.5 - Interial Scrolling for all?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blurb23, Nov 11, 2010.

1. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I've got one of the "first gen" Unibody MBPs, and from what I understand, inertial scrolling is (was?) hardware related and come out on MBPs after mine.

However, I just installed 10.6.5 and have noticed that when I scroll, it seems to drag on for a bit after I let go, depending how fast I was scrolling - basically an inertial scroll.

I haven't seen any threads of notes about this anywhere, can anyone confirm what I'm seeing?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think 10.6.5 puts inertial scrolling on all MacBook Pro models (if they support it). For first unibody owners, inertial scrolling was introduced though a trackpad update but I guess Apple bundled it with the update yesterday if you previously didn't install the trackpad update.

So to simply answer your question, yes, you do have inertial scrolling.

3. androo79 macrumors newbie

I have an older MacBook Pro, early 2008 non-unibody, and I now have inertial scrolling with 10.6.5 too. I love it!

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I've had intertial scrolling before this update (i believe the previous one added it to all mbps) - I have the 2.4 15" unibody

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a late 2006 MBP and I don't notice anything different.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have a pre-Santa Rosa non-unibody MBP and I do NOT have the inertial scrolling. Must be my older trackpad hardware cannot support it.

7. WildGuess macrumors regular

8. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

theres an option in mouse and trackpad system preferences items for scrolling with or without inertia, i think it was in a prior update.

9. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

It seems to have gotten rid of the drag problem experienced by 1 finger drag users. As a last-gen non-unibody MBP user, I've got to say I like it, but I had to re-enable my 3 finger drag trick (located in my sig).

10. Linixion, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

Linixion macrumors newbie

I have a late 2007 MBP, 10.6.5 just changed it to the intertial scrolling. I don't really like it, but I guess I'll just get used to it; it's not that bad. I just have to hold my fingers on the pad instead of letting go. In the next few weeks I'll probably think it's awesome, so *shrug*

Edit:
    Actually after using it abit, it is kinda nice but I noticed that when you scroll at certain lower speeds it makes the text and images in the browser shake a little bit, and it's kinda distracting.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

is inertia scrolling on for the multi-touch trackpads that were intro'd with the unibodies?

12. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

I thought that they added it all when they released the magic trackpad.