10.6.5: Require Password After Screen Saver?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moonchilddave, Nov 17, 2010.

1. moonchilddave macrumors regular

I'm in the process of updating our server from 10.4 to 10.6.5. And I've noticed a very disturbing problem...

First, I don't need a lecture on enabling the root account. I have a strong password and appropriate security measures in place (both physical and configuration wise), and I understand the risks.

Under 10.4, I was able to set the Security Preferences of the root account to "Require Password Immediately After Screen Saver Begins". Worked just fine and dandy. Under 10.6.5, when logged in as root, this option seems to be ignored. I have run a repair permissions, verify disk and both report no problems. It also seems to ignore the "Log out after XX minutes of inactivity" as well... Has anyone else seen these issues?

2. gmfeier macrumors member

Just ran across the same problem on my old Mac Pro. Didn't happen until I zapped the PRAM to get back my missing pek-a-boo RAM.

3. moonchilddave thread starter macrumors regular

Well, nice to know I'm not alone... However, if anyone knows of a solution, I'd love to hear it. For now I've had to disable the root account and use sudo -s for a root shell when needed. Not an optimal solution for me though. My system is a MacPro (1,1) as well.

4. gmfeier macrumors member

I seem to have gotten it fixed by deleting the preference file. I believe it was com.apple.screensaver.plist.