10.6.5 Weirdness - Missing RAM!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Michael73, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Seriously! This is the most bizarre thing...

I downloaded 10.6.5 this evening for my MP - the download and install went flawlessly. After it was all done and the machine restarted, I clicked on "About this Mac" and that's when I noticed it said "Memory: 11 GB" I was like HUH!!! :eek:

The machine shipped with 4 x 1GB DIMMS and then I bought 4 x 2GB DIMMS from OWC. When I clicked on "More Info..." and it brought up the System Profiler it says I have still have my 4 x 2GB DIMMS, but now it says I have 2 x 1GB DIMMS and 2 x 512MB DIMMS.

What the heck is going on?

2. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

3. loungecorps macrumors member

Very strange, my ram all showed up the same as before. I bought kingston value ram from newegg. Hope you get that figured out

4. diazj3, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Also having some weird RAM behavior...

In my 2009 Quad MP case, while the amount of RAM is correctly reported (7GB), I noticed 10.6.5 manages it differently - or so it seems. According to activity monitor, I see a bit more free memory (green) in general apps; used memory (yellow) seems to clear out much faster after apps are closed - both good things... but the wired memory (red) seems also to be much larger while performing particular RAM intensive apps.

I don't know if I should consider this a more efficient RAM management under 10.6.5, or a glitch. Can anyone comment on this?

cheers!