10.6.6 on 2011 MBPs supports TRIM

Discussion in 'macOS' started by axu539, Mar 1, 2011.

1. axu539 macrumors 6502a

So I found two threads that seem to show that the 2011 MBPs' build of 10.6.6 shows "Trim Support: Yes" in machines with Apple SSDs. Can anyone else corroborate this? Does anyone know if this actually means that at least this build of SL is actually executing TRIM?

2. mmulin macrumors 6502

This seems to be an entry from the System Profiler's view of the installed disk. 10.6.6 still doesn't have OS TRIM support but from this version, OSX can recognize if a SSD is TRIM capable (either OS executed or self induced). Many modern SSDs will come with internal TRIM in which case the OS doesn't need to take care of it anymore.

3. axu539 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, what I'm confused about then is how do we actually know Lion has TRIM support? The only evidence we had of that was the exact same thing: "Trim Support: Yes"

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

as far as i am aware, only Lion supports Trim. had you read otherwise?

5. axu539 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. mmulin macrumors 6502

Good point. I haven't checked yet the 10.7 features and their evidences. So we won't know for sure until now. However, you always can buy a SSD with build in TRIM and not worry ;)

7. axu539 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, built in garbage collection will still never be as effective as actual TRIM. Furthermore, garbage collection actually has the problem of write-amplification, which will ultimately decrease the life of the drive.

Of course, personally, I'm not worried at all, since using a drive normally (not constantly trying to benchmark it) will not show noticeable performance degradation for a looong time. I've been using my Intel for quite a while now, and it's as strong as ever. I just wanted to bring this topic up, as it's interesting that Apple might have silently snuck TRIM support into Snow Leopard.