10.6.7 and Canon Printer Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SGSalem, Apr 5, 2011.

1. SGSalem, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

SGSalem macrumors newbie

I upgraded my older MacBook to Snow Leopard by CD, then clicked to accept the update, which was for 10.6.7. Now I can't print to my Canon multifunction laserjet MF4150. It seems I'm not alone. But now my daughter's MBPro which still uses 10.6.3 (see below) also can't print!

First several times I tried to print to my MB, the print monitor showed an "Error" without saying what the error was. I downloaded the latest driver (UFRII_V224_MacOSX_us_EN.dmg). Restarted a couple of times. Now the Print Monitor apears to show the job going successfully to the printer but nothing happens. It happens no matter which application I print from.

Checking the printer info settings, the General tab says I have "Driver Version: 2.0". Shouldn't it say 2.24 if that is the installed driver?

Even worse -- I decided to check whether my daughter's MB Pro (2010) was still able to print to the MF4150 (worked fine the last time she printed). Printing from a Word document, I noticed that the printer that I could select now said "Canon MF 4100 Series @ Steve's Computer". Sure enough, after the upgrade/update, my computer now had a check in a box for "Share this printer...". I've never used that and don't want that. Unclicking sharing on my MB did not help, as her print setup still identified it as a shared printer.

I tried to add the printer to her MBP as a new one. But there is no corresponding driver to select. So I then downloaded the latest driver from Canon.

2. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Have you tried installing the Canon drivers 2.4.1 from apple these work fine with my canon MP495 printer all in one.

I am unsure if the drivers from canon themselves are fully 10.6.* compatible as I have never used them apart from the first install from the CD then update with the ones from apple.

It could be worth a try

3. SGSalem thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to resolve it -- I restarted the printer and then went through its control panel, and found the print job that had resulted in the original error message before downloading the newest driver. I deleted that one, and all works fine now.
    Could've saved myself some time! Sorry for using yours. The need to reinstall on my daughter's computer due to the sharing setting was an odd one.

4. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. No worries about my time I have had some many problems over the last few years and have found ways to fix them. I just enjoy helping people get things sorted out easily.