10.6.7 from 10.7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by recklessfour, Sep 17, 2011.

1. recklessfour macrumors newbie

Hi guys, sorry if this topic has been covered before. But I've been searching Google and I couldn't find the answer. I recently bought a 2011 MBP 8,1 with lion pre-installed. Before I had this MBP, I used to have the older generation MBP 13' with the 320m video card that had snow leopard installed. My question is, can I buy a SL disc v10.6.7 (on eBay) and install it on my new MBP that came with lion? I know the early 2011 MBP came with SL pre-installed on them. I've been reading that Mac doesn't like older OS on newer builds. I know for a fact that the newer Air's cannot go backwards on the OS because they came out with Lion originally this year. Is it the same for the newer mac book pro's? Thanks.

_dennis

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

I'm sorry to say it's the same but if you buy SL and a virtual machine software such as VMWare Fusion or Parallels, you can run SL on top of Lion. I'm no expert on Boot Camp so I can't tell you if you can run Mac OSX using it.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can only run snow leopard server in a virtual machine - regular snow leopard's EULA prohibits running virtualized.

Bootcamp is only for windows.

There are no legit 10.6.7 snow leopard disks for sale.

You could buy the apple snow leopard retail disk and it would probably install since not much has changed hardware wise.

Other question is why do you need snow leopard?

4. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

You will need to locate the exact same disc that shipped with the pre-Lion version of your machine, or you probably won't have all the necessary drivers.

5. recklessfour thread starter macrumors newbie

There are some programs that I use for my job that doesn't work with Lion yet. Anyways, thanks for the prompt responses. :)

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I still have SL on my main machines cause I have 2 apps that are PPC and don't have a replacement yet.

Usually when they say you can't install anything earlier than what a system shipped with it is because the hardware has changed enough so that new drivers are needed. The MBP hasn't had any hardware changes since Lion was released, so SL should still be usable. You might try getting an external HDD and installing Snow Leopard on that via a retail disk and then running from that.

7. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

You'll need a disk with 10.6.6, since that's what shipped with the early 2011 Macbook Pro's. I don't think a retail disk would have come with that and would therefore be missing the necessary drivers you mentioned. A retail disk from launch wouldn't have drivers for the HD3000 and HD6750M GPUs in my 15" MBP, for example.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Or you can always dual boot :)

I have SL, Lion, and Windows 7 ultimate as boot drives.
    (And of course the recovery drive that Lion decided to add)