10.6.8 + Bootcamp + WinXP (+ 10.8.2)

frez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I'm currently running SL (10.6.8) + Bootcamp with WinXP on my 2010 Mac Pro. I also have Parallels which accesses the Bootcamp install.

I want to install ML (10.8.2) on a second drive as a new boot option.

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to install 10.8.2 with my previous configuration intact?

2. Who will 'own' the Bootcamp partition (SL or ML?)

3. Is there anything I need to take into consideration if I upgrade Windows in the future?

Thanks,
Frez

frez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Is there anyone who can make an educated guess? :)

frez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Looks like it won't be possible on the same HD - but I wonder if it will work when ML is installed on another disk?

http://www.macstrategy.com/article.php?77

Q. I have multiple partitions on my hard disk and I installed Mountain Lion but now my Boot Camp Windows installation doesn't work/I cannot boot to Windows. What's wrong?

A. Windows requires that Boot Camp is within the first four partitions on your hard disk. Unfortunately a Mac running Mountain Lion has TWO additional invisible partitions on the hard disk (EFI and Recovery HD) so if you have more partitions than just your normal Mac OS X and Windows, Windows may not work. The standard setup (Boot Camp will work):
  1. [hidden] EFI
  2. [hidden] Recovery HD
  3. OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
  4. Boot Camp and Windows
An example non-standard setup (Boot Camp may not work):
  1. [hidden] EFI
  2. [hidden] Recovery HD
  3. Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (dual boot)
  4. Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (dual boot)
  5. Boot Camp and Windows

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You should have no trouble whatsoever with 10.8 on a different physical drive. If you're paranoid then disconnect the 10.6/Bootcamp drive first before installing, but after you've installed you'll be able to use the Startup Disk preferences or Option at boot.