Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siddharta1979

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Hi all,
I'm stuck at a point I don't know how to come out. Long story short: my hard drive failed. I replaced a new hard drive, re-installed snow leopard, and restored my latest backup through time machine. Everything seems to be fine. Unfortunately, when I try to login into my account, after a second I receive an error message, saying something like: "Impossible to login for FileVault user xxx". I had FileVault enabled on that account. Now the tricky part: I can login with another account and get authentication, or even login with root and get authentication, but I can't disable FileVault (if that's the right thing to do, I'm not even sure) because when I try to change the master password it says the password I type in is wrong (Which, I am absolutely certain, it is not wrong; there's also the hint, I have sort of a system, so there's no way the password is wrong).
HELP!

siddharta1979

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Update: I booted with an older copy of super duper, way older than my latest backup with time machine, and I was able to access my account. When I tried to login, the system said the there was a problem due to the boot disk inaccessible due to FileVault protection and in need of repair. I did repair, it said I couldn't access it because of an error, but I tried and was able to access my old login. Problem is... That is way older than my latest time machine backup. Advice?

Hi all,
I'm stuck at a point I don't know how to come out. Long story short: my hard drive failed. I replaced a new hard drive, re-installed snow leopard, and restored my latest backup through time machine. Everything seems to be fine. Unfortunately, when I try to login into my account, after a second I receive an error message, saying something like: "Impossible to login for FileVault user xxx". I had FileVault enabled on that account. Now the tricky part: I can login with another account and get authentication, or even login with root and get authentication, but I can't disable FileVault (if that's the right thing to do, I'm not even sure) because when I try to change the master password it says the password I type in is wrong (Which, I am absolutely certain, it is not wrong; there's also the hint, I have sort of a system, so there's no way the password is wrong).
HELP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.