Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I upgraded from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 using the combo installer (out of superstition). Anyways, when restarting, I had to enter my password which was odd - my automatic login option was reset. I also noticed all my startup items were removed. Anyone else experience this with the combo or delta updater?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
What is combo as opposed to just doing software update? I did a search for it and the 'combo' d/l of update is 1GB, what's the difference?

And as few seem to be having trouble with this new update, is it something to avoid downloading anyway?

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
What is combo as opposed to just doing software update?

The Combo updater includes ALL changes from 10.6.0 -> 10.6.8. The delta updater, it only includes the changes made from 10.6.7 -> 10.6.8.

In theory, both should get you to the same place - 10.6.8. The combo updater is useful if you haven't been updating regularly, or just did a fresh install of snow leopard. That way, you can just install the combo updater - versus installing 10.6.5, then 10.6.6, 10.6.7, 10.6.8 for example.

Some folks think using the combo updater yields better results, even if the delta updater would suffice. I don't have any facts to back this up; I think its based on a couple bad delta updates many, many years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.