10.6.8 snow leopard OSX server SAMBA SMB Windows 7 permissions

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by joecool99, Feb 17, 2012.

1. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

situation:

Mac mini server OSX 10.6.8 running SMB service to provide networked shared volumes for 8 Windows 7 computers clients.

90% of the stuff are MS Office 2007 word documents that are accessed over wifi network.

Once in a while, randomly on this or that computer the user get's message like: "Permissions denied. Read only access" (i don't remember the exact message). The result is that the user cannot save the updated Word file unless it's saved as a copy altering the name (as xxxx2.doc for e.g.)

Is there something that would help me troubleshoot this problem ?

2. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Just for clarification you are running a Windows Shop with a Mac server? SMB file sharing services are pretty wonky IMHO on OSX Server. The problem at hand can be a few things, #1 someone is working on the file from the Network and not locally and #2 permissions are getting messed up from the users side.

3. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

yes, OSX is only as SMB file server.
    most of the time it's smooth. how do i determine what side is at fault - messing the permissions ? OSX or W7 ?

4. Optimouse^^ macrumors member

I wish I had a more helpful answer for you, but MS Word produces similar errors in our office environment. We are running CIFS on a NAS and have a mixed Mac/PC office. The errors only occur when MS Word is in use..