10.6.8 to 10.9.5 -> Win7 BootCamp is no longer accessible ??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by UKevin, Sep 27, 2014.

1. UKevin macrumors newbie

Hi,

I never actually used Mac OS on this MBP because I'm used to windows and had no interest in Mac OS (which was a complete mystery to me).
    As a sysAdmin, I've recently started to look into Linux so I figured I'd give Mac OS a proper try. 5 minutes after having booted into Mac OS a pop-up notified me I could update to Mavericks for free so I accepted. I admit that right before installing the update I wondered what would become of my win 7 partition but I figured that since BootCamp is a standard feature that comes with all Mac OS based computers it would be fully supported and I wouldn't run into any issues so I went ahead and launched the install (which took the little worries I had away when it prompted me to confirm the right partition was checked by default).

So eventually, Mavericks was ready and I liked it much better than 10.6.8 right away and ended up not booting back into windows for a while. I have several files on the windows partition that I needed to go update so I rebooted and it should've sent me straight to windows since that is what it had always been set to do except it didn't. So I turned it off again and kept the right alt key down so it would send me to the "boot menu" which it did. Trouble is there was no windows 7 option but instead a "10.9.5 Recovery" disk and the regular Mac OS disk.

Checking the disk manager I can confirm that the partition is still there and called disk04. I can't mount it (it doesn't do anything when I click the "mount" button, it doesn't even give me an error).

Any help is greatly appreciated, if you give me commands to run I'll do so as soon as I read your message.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I never re-sized either of my partitions (I'm mentioning that because all I can find on the Internet is people having issues with BC because of resizing partitions).

TL;DR : went from 10.6.8 to 10.9.5, windows partition is apparently still there under disk04 but can't be mounted and doesn't show in the 'boot menu' (right ALT key). I never resized either partition and only used win7 before giving Mac OS a try and updating it.

2. UKevin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well ...

I was under the impression, and actually told, that this was the place to go if you needed Mac-related help. Apparently this was a completely false assumption.

Would one out of the hundred or so people that have read this thread be so kind as to send me to the right forum where I'll get help ?
    That would be really great.

Thanks in advance.

3. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Hey there, @UKevin. Don't let the lack of replies sour your impression of this site, it's pretty great. Maybe the weekend has something to do with it?

Anyway, I understand your post and problem. Based on my experiences with Apple over the past few years, my gut feeling is not good for your Windows partition. It would not surprise me in the least if Apple decided to pull the plug on Win7 support and that resulted in your "upgrade" resulting in your computer now doing less than it did before.

I jumped over to Apple in 2009, when OS X 10.6 was the thing. I was totally won over by the interface, flexibility, and mind-numbing array of compatibility the Mac was capable of. It's been a few years now, and I'm ready to go back to Windows soon. Between OS X's steady gimping and feature removal, and the transformation of a near-perfect phone UI to the garish childish nonsense that is iOS 7 and beyond, and most importantly, Apple's refusal to routinely update their overpriced computers with current technology, I'm out.

Didn't answer your question, sorry, but I think your entire Win7 install just went to the great bit bucket in the sky.

I hope I'm wrong, and you get your data back. Either way, take care, and have a good one.

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy