Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by chhoda, Oct 19, 2013.

1. chhoda macrumors 6502

hi all, if i ake an app in xcode 4.2 in mac 10.6.8 and send the simulator binaries to somebody, can he install to his apps simulator directory in 10.8 and run and see..

i know in device it may not work, but i will be fine if it runs in simulator for the time being

2. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

Never tried that. I don't think Apple intended for you do do that, so the burden would be on you to make it work.

Likely it would only work if you used the exact same version of Xcode, simulator, and iOS SDK on both platforms.

When you say take an app from Xcode 4.2/Mac OS 10.6.8 and send it to somebody who runs it under 10.8, it very likely would not work if the recipient is running a later version of Xcode. They would likely have to go to the developer site and download Xcode 4.2 (assuming it's still available) and run that.

Try it and see if it works.

3. idelovski macrumors regular

It works, at least this:

Just built one of my old projects in 4.2 (SL) and moved it to 5.0 on ML, iOS 7 Simulator and all seems to be working just fine.

4. chhoda thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks idevloski, when you said, you moved, did you move the simulator binary or moved the code and built it in 5.0 ?

i need the former

ch

5. xStep macrumors 68000

You can move the binary that got placed in your simulator.

6. idelovski macrumors regular

Whole GUID-named folder. I zipped it and unzipped inside the other simulator, in 7.0 folder.

How could I possibly assume you were asking if the code can be moved? Sure it can! (give or take few errors and warnings) ;)

7. chhoda thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot for all the answers.

now my problem is, i have an imac which is 10.5.x how can i change it to 10.8.x ? are there any dmgs i can download and run to upgrade this ?

regards
    ch