10.6 and rosetta question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iriejedi, Jul 24, 2009.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

OK lame fear - but I fear Quicken will NOT work on Snow leopard (please this is a not I hate quicken thread so don't ask why I cling to it) -

However recently I saw some random text saying that it will work but Rosetta must be installed with 10.6 - I thought Rosetta was just a natural part of the OS 10.5 and is 'just there'- now it is an option? ??? :confused:

First question does 10.6 support really support Rosetta?

Second question: does anyone know how this will be installed on a fresh 10.6 install (going to buy a New HD just for this install in Sept)?

Thanks for the 411.

IJ

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It's an optional install for 10.6, so it does support it.

3. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Sounds easy enough - thanks for the informaton

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yeah, in the installation, you select Rosetta in the Customize section

5. dimme macrumors 65816

Is there any disadvantage or performance penalties when you install rosetta?

6. revs macrumors regular

You don't even need to customize the install, when you try and run your first app that requires Rosetta you get a nice message saying "you need Rosetta, click here to download and install it".

so its as easy as can be.

As for speed - Rosetta emulates PPC, so not as fast as native PPC. However, the Intel macs are so much quicker than PPC that the app probably runs quicker via Rosetta than it would on a PPC mac. In short, its all automatic and no need to worry about speed.

Oh and no it doesnt slow down anything else, i.e. installing it wont affect anything. It is just used when running a PPC app. So you can install it 'just incase' and it wont affect performance.

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

That depends on what PPC you are comparing to.. It will not match the 2.5Ghz G5s with four times as many registers and over 200 in-flight instructions.

Congratulations! Unlike most other MR-ites, you actually comprehend that PPC code doesn't slow down x86 code! Too bad MR.com is a logic-free zone.

8. Steve-M macrumors regular

What exactly changed in snow leopard that you now need Rosetta to run apps that worked before the upgrade?

9. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Nothing, they used Rosetta before as well.

10. Amdahl macrumors 65816

What changed is that Rosetta isn't always installed in SL. All the PPC code is still there, but they leave out a 2.8MB file to actually put it to use.

Made the PPC haters happy for a few days, until they realized PPC wasn't removed from SL.

Apple might be saving some money by having Rosetta be an optional install on SL, or else it is just a warning that it will be dropped in 10.7. IBM now owns Transitive, which produces QuickTransit (apple name: Rosetta).

11. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Well, one way of looking at it is... what's the performance penalty of PPC software that doesn't run at all if Rosetta isn't installed? :D

The only real disadvantage is the fact that you lose 2.8 MB of HD space by having it installed.

Of greater concern is the fact that if you need Rosetta to run, you have some legacy PPC software which may stop working entirely when the day comes (at some point) Apple removes Rosetta entirely in a future OS X version. So time's right to see if there are newer versions of any PPC software you have.

12. devburke Guest

It was just there before. It’s been pushed out to optional now as part of Apple trying to subtly but continually encourage developers whose apps are still written for PPC only to update for Intel.

13. Amdahl macrumors 65816

And that will be an interesting day, because it will mean that OS X can't run earlier OS X apps. Talk about poor compatibility!

68K compatibility NEVER left until 10.5 dropped Classic.