10.6 clean install with usb

Discussion in 'macOS' started by redhatcode29, Nov 19, 2015.

1. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

hi, i am trying to do a clean install of snow leopard from a usb which i created with disk utility. the usb is fine, if i click it the disc installer appears. but when i restart for a clean install (pressing "option" only the HDD appears...the usb does not appear...a bit strange,,,,any ideas. thanks.

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Either the usb is defective or something went wrong with the disk utility.

How did you make usb stick?

3. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Yeah .... The usb was defective i guess, i used another n it appeared in the boot option, but now i have another issue..... There appears the sign of an no entry logo.... !

4. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

What model Mac you have, are you certain it supports Snow Leopard? No entry logo is commonly seen when Mac is booted from older OS than it supports.

Alternatively it could be that Disk Utility didn't succeed creating the usb stick, did you use "Scan image to restore" from disk image menu?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If that is your Mac Pro - have you added more RAM?
    From your other thread asking about upgrades for a Mac Pro, your original screen shot of About This Mac shows 512MB installed, which won't be enough (and would give you the "prohibited" symbol because of not enough RAM) for Snow Leopard, which needs a minimum of 1GB installed.

6. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Hi, sorry for the insufficient details. If would be a Mac Pro 1,1 which is currently running tiger.

7. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Hi, you are right, its my mac pro from the other thread.

Sharp eyes uve got there! I did think if any one would spot the ram capacity stated in the still picture of 'About this Mac' ! I too was fooled, when i first saw 512mb, i thought the seller had played a number on me, until i slide open the ram riser and refitted the rams... It is 1gb, that pic was taken as soon as i brought the Mac home.

I know that 1gb is nothing much for SL, i do not plan to run it with 1gb, just attempting a clean install and add more rama later.

image.jpeg

8. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Thanks guys....its resolved. there were two issues. the thumb drive and the mac which i was using... A single attempt from another Mac did it !

Screen shot 2015-11-22 at 11.00.54 PM.png