10.6 Color Profile Improvement

Discussion in 'macOS' started by creator2456, Aug 28, 2009.

1. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Just finished the install and I am wowed :eek: by the color of my screen. I had been using a custom calibrated profile in Leopard. Snow Leopard defaulted it back and it is MUCH better than what I had. I tested my 'calibrated' profile and it is god awful now.

Anyone else experience a major improvement in color after the upgrade? What could the explanation be for this?

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

3. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I already use that myself in Leopard via the most basic colour customisation options under "Display".

4. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

It's not just the Gamma that is different. The colors are better too. It's like I have a new screen again. Now if I could only figure out how a few specs of dust got in my screen when I had the logic board replace...

5. iTiki macrumors 6502

Is it an iMac? If so, use a toilet plunger (clean, I hope:eek:) and pull off the glass, clean and replace. Check Utube for video.

6. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

It has a gamma improvement, from 1.8 to 2.2. I've been using my own calibration under Leopard that had 2.2 gamma.... now that I updated to snow leopard, the same calibration I've been using still blows away the snow leopard default calibration.

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

It's not just gamma.

I have my own calibration that I used to do using a Spyder colour profiler. When I used it, I had two options for colour temperature: Native; 6500K. Now 6500K gave me much better colours, but made my greys slightly pink. When I used native it, as far as I remembered, it was identical to my default profile in colour temperature.

Under 10.6, the new profile is 2.2, true, but the colours are much closer to my previous 6500K colours, and nothing like the native. Is it a new profile? No, because I saved a copy of my original color profile from 10.5, and apart from gamma, it behaves like the new one. So it is something about how 10.6 renders colours using the profiles.

Short story - under 10.5, the default profile had similar colours to my Spyder calibrated using native.

Under 10.6, the default profiles (both the new and old) look nothing like the native, and more like 6500K (but without the hideous pinks I used to get without the Spyder). There's been a change in how it uses the colour profiles.

8. tivoboy macrumors 68030

wow

Wow, I had a nice profile before, I think it was an edited version of the Adobe profile, but now after SL upgrade, I cannot find it, and my screen looks like crap. It actually looks a bit blurry, which is NOT going to be good on my eyes. I have to say, I almost would downgrade back to 10.5 to get it back.

Is the directory of profiles dumped, I know I had more profiles in there. Where are they located from say a Time Machine backup?

9. TommyCo macrumors member

I've actually been getting some pretty bad migraines since using SL, unless I dim the screen almost all the way down. :eek:

Usually I only get 1-2 migraines a year so this was unsettling to say the least. I adjusted the gamma back down to how it was in Leopard and it seems to have helped.

I'm sure this isn't a common problem but I thought I'd throw in my tuppence.

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

where are the

Does anyone know where the profiles reside, I might try to find my past profiles.

I find my screen now a bit blurry, probably some contrast adjustment. Man, I really HATE it when I have everything running GREAT and then do an upgrade. I KNOW I should have waited a little while.

safari is also craptastic, using about 500MB of RAM, for WHAT?