10.6 is it still officially 'too soon?'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Preclaro_tipo, May 8, 2008.

1. Preclaro_tipo macrumors regular

I want to talk about 10.6. I noticed there isn't much discussion about this future unannounced product. (On a Side note, I don't expect Steve to announce the next version at the developer conference this June, 2008. I think it will all be iPhone, iTunes, iTouch announcements)

10.6 version of OS X:
    • Core Touch (for track pad, evolving to more)
    • New API's for preferences
    • Java 6, default java
    • FreeBSD Version between 7.2 to 7.5
    • New ULE scheduler --> leading to...
    • Much improved multi processor support, improved scaling.
    • iTunes support for Lyrics, ability to search lyrics
    • New Media browser with cover art, and lyrics search. (hopefully horizontal implementation for cover flow style browsing.)
    • Improved ZFS implementation
    • XFS Read Only support
    • FOAF type .mac address book interaction. Improved address book facebook connections.
    • Cover flow style browsing for Address book

OS X Server - relevant items from above plus:
    • Improved Mail Services, Push to iPhone
    • Time Machine back up to server for networked macs

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, too soon ...

[​IMG]

Take that ... and remember MS still hasn't released enough publicly available info on feature of their next generation OS for Apple to be accused of copying it all.

Edit: and what direction do you think the developer tools themselves will take for the next version of Xcode, etc.

3. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Most things that people will come up with are improvements to existing Mac features.

Personally, I think Apple should give us more software customizability. (Themes, more Aqua colours, etc.)

4. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

It's been two years since Leopard was announced so I do think it is time for Apple to start discussing the preliminaries of the next OS.

5. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I was thinking about this today actually. Although I consider Leopard 'new', I remember hearing that Apple was going to start updating OS more frequently. A developer's conference would be the perfect time to at least show off something. Otherwise when are they going to do it next year? Then when will the release be?

It does seem way too soon right now but what are the alternatives? Also, I don't want them to get Leopard very stable (which they have seemed to have done already) then come out with a new OS and have to deal with .0 issues (although minor probably).

6. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I would expect most of these features to be 10.5.x updates.

7. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I think that the developer tools will be updated a couple of times before 10.6 is out.

It only makes sense that with ten times as many people using them that things will be discovered that need changing or updating. I wouldn't be surprised if a minor revision was announced at the next WWDC.

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I want to be clear on this in my own mind. This is my best understanding of the situation:

The OS X kernel is not “just Free BSD”.

It is a mixture of the Mach Kernel, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD.

I don't see what is wrong with preferences — they are generally fairly consistent across applications.

Not sure what benefit you would get from an address book with coverflow.

Other than that it is a good list.

I think a new filesystem is needed to replace HFS+ (which is old and dated) and I think Apple can make some UI improvements as well.

9. darklyt macrumors regular

Probably implausible and not very original but...

How about a whole redesign of the user interface, revolving around a multi-touch keyboard that would act like an iPhone or iPod Touch, replacing both the trackpad and the keyboard? It could adapt to individual programs, making life easier by eliminating the process of learning tons of shortcuts (kind of like an iPhone).

Add in some voice commands and you would have a sexier version of the Star Trek computers. They don't look any better than any Apple I've seen, that's for sure.

This is all probably better for 10.7 and a second case redesign of the MBP though.

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Actually, the statement was that OS updates would be less frequent as the system matured.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So you think we will have 64 bit safari? That is alot of rewritten code but i like the idea.
    Isn't that what happened in 10.5? Or do you want more improvements?
    It already supports Lyrics, just not searching. That could easily be separate from the OS update.

I would like this to become the default file system.
    It already exists in third party apps. I don't think apple will put it into the OS.

12. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've got a pretty good reason why they shouldn't bother:

[​IMG]

;)

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

++

Usually if a Mac (or Windows for that matter) user comes to me for support, and they have some hideous haxie theme installed, I'll be like "sure, but first get rid of this nonsense." The worst are the ones that actually change the operation of stuff, move buttons around etc.

Lets not all forget, the Mac OS did have completely customizable themes from Mac OS 8.5 through 9.2.2. Then Apple was like wait a second this sucks, and so it went away.

Here are some of them:

Gizmo_theme_macos.jpg

transmit.gif

Drawing_board.jpg

14. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I can't see ZFS being released until 10.6. I mean how would they "update" something like a file system? Hand out new Leopard discs to everyone who already has Leopard? I mean I could see it happening on a developer level, but not for the average user.

But I mean honestly, we're only at 10.5.2. We have a way to go before 10.6 so there's plenty of time to speculate. I really hope they give us some actual options as far as UI goes. "Blue" and "Graphite" and being able to change the highlight color are hardly options. I mean come on, we're not 5 year olds. Give us some freedom. The gray on gray gets old after a while, and God knows I'll never run that crap from unsanity (ShapeShifter).

15. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I believe there'll be a mention of development on 10.6 beginning at WWDC, but I'm not sure there'll be much of a giveaway ;)

16. jons macrumors 6502

Seriously, the funniest comment I've heard all day.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it seems we could at least get the name of 10.6 at wwdc, right? when did they announce the leopard name?

18. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm predicting ZFS boot support, and ZFS as the default file system on Mac OS X, is coming sooner than you think. Not in 10.5.x, but in 10.6... and it'll be ready (at the very least, in beta form) by WWDC 2009. ;)

Not that I have any inside information, this is just an educated guess.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I haven't seen anything that the average user could take advantage of.

ZFS is a reason to upgrade, for a geek, but not for a consumer. And then even geeks will have a hard time making use of ZFS.. (ie., what can it do that an iMac with Time Machine can't already do?)

So what's the next big thing®?

Convergence.

(I think ;) )

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

making use of zfs? well time machine for one would be 100% better than it is, and faster. along with the pros being able to use their drives as 'pools' it would help a lot. it might not mean much for the average user, but ZFS would change a lot of the way things work currently.

21. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

To an extent, you are right... but "average" consumers still benefit from ZFS, in the following way: They no longer have to ask, "Is my file system messed up?" because ZFS can self-heal. They won't come here asking for help on how to use Disk Utility or the fsck utility anymore. :)

22. Preclaro_tipo thread starter macrumors regular

sources 'n stuff

HAHA, That makes me laugh, your right...doesn't it feel too soon? But considering it could be announced by steve in as little as 6 weeks, i'd say, given the other apple stuff that is speculated on way in advance. 6 weeks shouldn't be early.

That said.
    I took some of my estimation of future improvements to the os from the FreeBSD website. that specifically mentions prelim-support for ZFS, and better proc-scaling up to eight cores.

I hear elppa when he says the OS X is a mixture of different BSD's and stuff...I'm sure that is right...idk...this seems to confirm what he says but says the Panther was pretty heavily based off of FreeBSD. (dated link)
    http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/programming.html

And this page, detailing changes to FreeBSD 7.0 is very tantalizing.
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html

I think most people here realize how crazy huge an move to ZFS for the default file system would be, I think it would be huge. But i think ZFS allows you to build UFS file systems on top of it....So by extension i assume you could also build HFS+ or any other file system on top of it that could help with any transition. But i do think time machine and many other apps (all apps?) would have to be rebuilt to run correctly in a ZFS file systems space.

The main consumer reason for ZFS, just on a very very basic level is, it sounds like added space to the file system (like in mac pro) throwing in a new drive will automatically add that space to a pool of space. that would be nice. Like a mini Xsan...or is that taking it too far.