10.6 problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HughJ, Aug 30, 2009.

1. HughJ macrumors regular

I installed (attempted to) 10.6 on my machine earlier, and it went majorly wrong.

everytime it went to start up i woud get a grey screen telling me i should restart..which i did only to be greeted by the same screen.

I then completely deleted the contents of my hard disk, and tried installing again, which has completed

BUT

im missing some apps, first one I've noticed is gone is iMovie

and weirdly my HD icon in the top right hand corner has also disappeared:confused: only to be replaced with an iDisk icon...that when i click on it shows the contents of my iDisk

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i dont think retail version of any OSX has those apps, they are only bundled with disks of a new mac.

maybe try using those disks to install iMovie? I have no idea if that works tho.

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

iMovie/iLife dosn't come on the OS disk, but it is just included with a new mac.

4. HughJ thread starter macrumors regular

you must be right, i guess the best way is to uninstall and start again from my previous leopard disks(which are miles away in the office) then upgrade to snow leopard

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

There's already a thread (or 10) about OS X 10.6 issues.

However, missing applications after wiping your hard drive is not an issue. You need to reload your applications like iPhoto, iMovie, etc, from the appropriate media if you did a from scratch installation.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

If you got iLife with your Mac (and the version that came with the computer is the one you want to use) then you can use the second Mac OS X disc that came with your computer to install it in Snow Leopard.

7. sparkz macrumors newbie

HughJ, Check your settings under the Finder Preferences, you can show / hide icons such as Hard disks, External disks, CD's etc. What you are describing is not a Snow Leopard fault.

Sparkz

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's not a fault per se, but they have changed the default behaviour in Snow Leopard.

In 10.5 and under, Hard Drives would appear on the desktop by default.

In Snow Leopard, they are now hidden by default.

9. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Hhm - that's cool... I didn't notice this because I always had my HDD's manually hidden.

10. HughJ thread starter macrumors regular

thanks very much worked a treat lol :)