10.6 Pros

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stuffradio, Aug 5, 2009.

1. stuffradio macrumors 65816

What kind of new and exciting things can I look forward to in Snow Leopard? I just pre-ordered it and I have a 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini. I only use my Mac for iPhone development, so what things are you excited for?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

personally I am really looking forward to a leaner more efficient OS. I know there are lots of technical benefits ppl more knowledgeable will go into but I am happy with the idea that it's improving on Leopard. Oh and little things like moving through stacks, replacing folders and the new Quicktime interface should be really good!

4. stuffradio thread starter macrumors 65816

Not being able to go through the apps without going in to Finder was kind of annoying :p

So I agree that will be a nice improvement.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's already possible to go to Applications via the Dock.

Just drag the Applications folder (not the one in the sidebar, the one in the root directory with Library, Users and System folder) to the Dock and change the view style to List View.

[​IMG]

There since at least Jaguar I think.

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Since Jaguar? Stacks is new to leopard, and list view is new to one of the 10.5.x releases i think like 10.5.5

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

List view has been available forever.

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I'm fairly sure mackmgg is right, at least I tried to drag a folder of applications into the Dock under Tiger and the OS said no.

mt

9. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Nope. They added it in later after the release of 10.5 and after people were complaining that there was no list view in stacks.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm currently working on a Mac OS X 10.2.8 machine, and it works.

You have to drag the folder to the right side of the dock, left of the Trash symbol.
    There is a divider between Applications and others.

clickable
    [​IMG]

@Watabou:

List view was there before Mac OS 10.5, it was just removed and replaced with Stacks, and later re-added with 10.5.2 due to complains.

11. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Holy crap, that's a lot of drives.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Four internal ones in a Power Mac G4, eight drives in a NexSan enclosure, and some Firewire drives, one with 14 volumes, as the editing application used on that machine (Avid), can only have a maximum of 10.000 files per folder (and in this case per drive, as the folder has to have a unique name "OMFI MediaFiles", which can only exist once per volume).

It's disorganized like a jar of rice though.

13. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

That's even worse than a home server that I set up with 3 drives and 9 partitions between them, set up completely illogically, as the three drives weren't identical (one was SATA 150, one was PATA 133, and the other was a 5400RPM PATA 100), and I tried to optimize performance for the partitions that needed it the most.

Still, whatever works, right? :)

14. stuffradio thread starter macrumors 65816

Few questions:
    What kind of hard drive does my Mac Mini use and where is the cheapest place to get bigger ones?

Is there any work around to use more than 2x1 GB or 1x2 GB RAM sticks in my Mini?

15. Jasoco macrumors 6502

Mac mini's use laptop sized HD's. I get my HD's from NewEgg.com.

If I were you though I'd probably just get an external HD designed to look like the mini and have the mini sit on it. Unless you really want to go to the trouble of replacing the HD yourself. (It's veeeeeery hard.)

They make Mac mini styled HD/USB hub combos. They add maybe 1" to the height of the mini.

16. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

that's awesome!