Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
No, they didn't. For the nth time, OS X simply means "Generation (uni)X" of Macintosh OS. This means that we now currently have version 5.3 of the unix generation Mac OS.

If that is the case, then why is it pronounced "ten" and not "ecks?"

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I think they will cling to that roman X for dear life and go up to 10.9.9 if necessary... they kind of painted themselves into a corner by making the X such a huge part of the branding.

I'm kinda thinking they will go for "11" rather than "XI"... I know which of the two any graphics designer would prefer to play around with when designing packaging etc.

They can also go for 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12 etc etc

There is already a precedent in 10.3.11 i.e. they don't stop at 9 for sub numbers. I know it is not the same level as 10.10 BUT it is possible.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
10.6 already? Mind you, those of us who were OS X users from the start remember the short interludes between 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2. I'm wondering if, since they're clearly referencing 10.6 in existing code, it might: a) arrive on a similar timescale to the early 10.0-to-10.2 era – remember, the 10.4-.5 gap was unusually long; and b) contain something very cool – so cool that Apple are already building for its capabilities in their internal code trees right now.

As for post-X, I can't see Apple throwing out the OS X moniker. OS X is a platform, not a version. It would be akin to Microsoft no longer calling their operating system Windows. I see no issue at all in having Mac OS X, Version 11.0. When I'm asked what OS the Mac uses, I say OS X, not OS 10.5. In my mind at least, OS X and the actual version number are two distinct labels. The About This Mac dialog seems to support this.
I've never thought of it like that before, and I suppose that makes sense. Though Leopard may simply be "Mac OS 10.5," the actual Mac OS has also been upgraded to the newer platform, "Mac OS X," which would explain the somewhat confusion versioning scheme.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I'm going for "Lion". Jaguar, Leopard and Tiger are there and the genus (?) is PANTHERa

Lion is my guess as well, and once you go for the king and you've done all the big cats, there's really nowhere you can go from there. You can't follow up Lion with Lynx or, uh... Polecat.

So here's my guess:

10.6 a.k.a. Lion will be the last MacOS to support PPC.
It will also conclude the X lineage.
It will be succeeded by the Intel-exclusive OS 11.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
10.0 was Cheetah
10.1 was Puma
10.2 was Jaguar
10.3 was Panther
10.4 was Tiger
10.5 is Leopard

Lion, Lynx, and Cougar haven't been used... And I thought I read somewhere that Cougar and Lynx are already trademarked by Apple.

What about pu$$y? That's a kind of cat....

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Lion, Lynx, and Cougar haven't been used... And I thought I read somewhere that Cougar and Lynx are already trademarked by Apple.

I really do hope it's Lynx next time in 10.6, it sounds so cool... ish.

And I hope they save up Lion for their last release, its really big and proud and the largest predator for OS X.

(if that made any sense)

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I really do hope it's Lynx next time in 10.6, it sounds so cool... ish.

And I hope they save up Lion for their last release, its really big and proud and the largest predator for OS X.

(if that made any sense)

I still say sabretooth would be the most awesome name. :)

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Maybe with 10.6 they're trying to reduce the development cycle back to shorter like it used to be. It's wise with a complicated piece of software to do regular releases. Also there has been some discontent with 10.5, more so than past releases, so maybe they just want to put it behind them.

As for code names, Microsoft has stopped using code names and just uses the numbers by themselves now, e.g. Windows 7. Maybe Apple will not come up with a replacement for the cat names, but rather just drop code names altogether.

Macminiintel

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Think how long the Original Mac OS was out

Steve said himself Mac OS X is gonna support Apple for at least the next 15-20 years. he said that in 2005. If you think how Long the original Mac OS was out for, then that should give us an idea, (1984-2001). Apple had a funeral for Mac OS in 2002, when OS X would then be pre-installed on all machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.