10.6 SL: Revert to Old QuickTime plugin?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac4drew, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

Hey everyone. I've decided that I absolutely hate everything about the QuickTime X plugin that comes in Snow Leopard. It seems to only show up when playing certain types of media (MP3, H.264), but I'd like to know if there's a way to use the old plugin for everything.

There are no words for how much I hate this thing. The back 30 seconds button looks stupid and is largely useless, the bar looks really fat and the play button is huge. More importantly, I can't change playback speed, and the "Save As..." feature is gone. I paid for the Pro version of this plugin and now Apple has rendered it useless for everything but straightforward playback on a good deal of the files I encounter daily.

Does anyone know of some way to force everything to open with the old plugin? I've thought of switching /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin with the old one from Leopard, but I don't have it anymore and I'm not even convinced that this would work.

Any ideas?

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

3. mac4drew thread starter macrumors regular

mac4drew

Yes, I realize that. I already have it installed.

I was asking about the Internet plugin used by Safari, Firefox, and other web browsers.