10.6 sneak peek at WWDC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iZac, May 11, 2008.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

am i crazy to expect some info on 10.6 in the upcoming WWDC? Apple have in recent years devoted a lot of time to their OS at WWDC, especially considering this is a developer conference.

I know the iPhone stuff / rumoured tablet etc. will definitely steal some thunder, but it cant possibly all be a consumers wet dream can it?

2. ColinEC macrumors 6502

I would actually be a bit disappointed if Steve talked about 10.6.

That would mean they are already focusing on another operating system, instead of devoting their time to work on 10.5.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Of course they are working on 10.6 now. They probably started the day after 10.5 was released. They most likely have a maintenance team and development team, each working on the respective branches of Mac OS X.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I reckon they started about a year before it was released. These things take a long time to develop.

Wouldn't surprise me if they had the basic plans for 10.6 sorted out long before 10.5 was out.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's getting harder and harder to make revolutionary new OS features, and Apple isn't under pressure to compete directly with Microsoft right now, so I would be deeply surprised if Apple makes any mention of 10.6 at all this calendar year.

6. iZac thread starter macrumors 68000

iZac

Hmm, thinking about it, it was a little over a year after Tigers release that Apple demoed Leopard and they did suggest a slowing of the pace of OS releases, so maybe '09 is more likely.

Ive just got so much anticipation for the long fabled 'resolution independence'

i wonder if they will at least attribute a cat to it?

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If Apple makes some sort of ultra mobile tablet this year, like there are rumors they might, you might see a version of Leopard with resolution independence running on it.

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Now although I am sure that they have been developing it since before 10.5 was even sold, my guess is that the earliest that we will here of it is in Macworld '09, but your best bet would be in WWDC '09. Apple would want to make sure that their current OS has been out for at least a year before giving people any incentive to not buy it now because it would be updated within the next 12-18 months (even though I do believe that it would be somewhat absurd to allow that much time to go buy for only $130).