10.6 Snow Leopard next week?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CMelton, Jan 21, 2009.

1. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, sorry if they have but I couldn't find it, but its the 25th Anniversary of the introduction of the Mac computer on Saturday (24th Jan) and I have a theory that this could lead to a release of Snow Leopard next week.

I think this because Apple may see Saturday as a cause for celebration/a look how far we've come in the last 25 years and the future starts here with an optimised operating system on which to build for the future.

This also ties in nicely with the original Q1 release that was talked about after Jordan Hubbard's presentation on "evolution of Mac OS X from large servers to embedded platforms" from last November.

Its also not too much of a stretch of the imagination that Apple could be releasing a new product line/an updated product to mark the occasion as they did for the 20th anniversary - I'm thinking of all the Mac Mini rumors flying around at the moment. [Also could provides a reason for why Macworld was such a let down for all those waiting for new hardware].

I also think that Snow Leopard might be the last OS X before OS 11 as its trimming/slimming code/optimising/the first use of OpenCL in an operating system and would offer them the opportunity to sort out bugs, see how it actually performs in the real world etc. etc. and sets the stage for a completely new operating system.

I personally don't see Apple letting this weekend go by quietly but if I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it.

Just a thought.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wow, no. Are we ANYWHERE near a Golden Master build? :D

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Nope. Not going to happen. Snow Leopard is no way near finished yet.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'll chime in and say unless Apple is keeping a good stable version of SL from Developers we won't see this until WWDC09.

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The most I can expect is an update of the Snow Leopard website. But that's pretty unlikely.

8. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. I'm hoping for some sort of a preview.

9. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

I don't even think that Apple has a viable beta build of 10.6 yet, nor do I think that they have completely figured out how they are going to handle the big 64bit kernel question.

My bet for retail release was (and still is) somewhere in the middle of October (RTM late Sept to early Oct).

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not going to happen.

We haven't seen any release candidates let alone a gold master build. These are things that Apple can't sneak out, it takes a few months of testing and you'll see a dramatic increase in the frequency of build releases leading up to when Apple post the countdown.

It's a way off yet.